• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a Mid/High-End PC in Central America (New rules apply)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PiXeL16

Hi Guys, This will be my first one. I have been reading the great forum since some months ago and it have been great.
Since the start of this year I have a little project in mind of building some Pcs(Actually 3).
I have been buying components each month and want to post what I have get so far.
First some things that you may want to know about me that may clarify my component choices. And maybe you can get an idea of how its to get quality components down here.

• I live in Costa Rica, third world Country located next to Panama
  • Finding good quality components here is very hard to impossible, every component that i got was shipped from US new
  • For each and every component that I get I need to pay 13 to 25% of its prices in taxes when it enters the country. Also I need to pay high shipping cost of almost have the component price. So something like a Cosmos Case that will be normally arround 189$ I will need to pay around 340$ to get it here.Yeah, you read right...
  • I am 22 years old, software engineer(Mostly Flex and C++ stuff). The money that I make in this country can be compare to what a MacDonald employee(The one that flips burgers) will make in U.S(No ofence to those M&D workers), actually it will be less. Basically I will qualify for welfare if I lived there
  • Because I have Costa Rican credit cards, most of the U.S Shops wont accept my money(Only U.S Banks issued cards), So no NewEgg, TigerDirect for me. Basically the only choices that I have are Amazon or Ebay

I mention this so you have an idea, and like I said maybe it will clarify some of my component choices, that's it.
Basically the purpose of the PC is like 55% HTPC and 45% gaming, something like that. I don't have room in my room for a desk so the PC will be hook up to a 46 LCD TV(Big expense from last year)
So now the list, first some pictures that I just took:

img1739kw2.jpg

img1740uk8.jpg

my.php

img1742hz7.jpg

img1743wj8.jpg

• Cosmos Case 1000
  • Nvidia 9800gx2 SSC(Basically I had this for another project of a water cooled SLI build that I was dreaming off, but money run out, life complicated, and so GPU is going in this one :rolleyes:)
  • Asus Maximus Formula
  • 3x 500GB Western Digital
  • 150GB Velocity Raptor
  • 4x 1gb Corsair Dominator XMS2-8500 1066mhz 5-5-5-15
  • Antec True Power Quatro 850
  • Zerotherm Nirvana
  • Intel Q6600 0G

Stuff that are still missing

• Avertv Combo PCIE(M780)
  • Thermaltake A2414 80mm Blue LED Dual PCI Slot Fan( I am planing to run 2 of these next to the 9800gx2, I read that it is a little hot down there, maybe this will cool things a bit?)
  • Adesso 2.4 GHz RF Wireless Mini Keyboard with Optical Trackball( Great small wireless Trackball integrated keyboard for HTPC needs, i think)
  • Kingston FCR-HS219/1 USB 2.0 Hi-Speed 19-in-1 Media Reader
  • Some cable sleeves
  • 4x Noctua NF-P12 Vortex( I am planning of removing all the Cases fans and adding this ones, I know that the fans of the case are not that bad, but have read great thing about this ones , what do you guys think?,http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2F13KK758WMXQ&v=glance)

Also I was planing to get a good audio card, I am planning to hook it to a receiver so I need to have Optical out. I was thinking about the Xonar DX, what do you guys think? http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2F13KK758WMXQ&v=glance
A little expensive but I am just tired of creative.
Also ones of my main concerns is the PSU, do you guys think will be enough???:shrug:
Well there you have it, my proud and joy, lol
Any suggestions, opinions, help, are very very welcome guys! Hopefully next weeks I can have pics of every hook up for you guys.:p
BTW, sorry for the long post and weird English

Hi Guys, This will be my first one. I have been reading the great forum since some months ago and it have been great.
Since the start of this year I have a little project in mind of building some Pcs(Actually 3).
I have been buying components each month and want to post what I have get so far.
First some things that you may want to know about me that may clarify my component choices. And maybe you can get an idea of how its to get quality components down here.

• I live in Costa Rica, third world Country located next to Panama
  • Finding good quality components here is very hard to impossible, every component that i got was shipped from US new
  • For each and every component that I get I need to pay 13 to 25% of its prices in taxes when it enters the country. Also I need to pay high shipping cost of almost have the component price. So something like a Cosmos Case that will be normally arround 189$ I will need to pay around 340$ to get it here.Yeah, you read right...
  • I am 22 years old, software engineer(Mostly Flex and C++ stuff). The money that I make in this country can be compare to what a MacDonald employee(The one that flips burgers) will make in U.S(No ofence to those M&D workers), actually it will be less. Basically I will qualify for welfare if I lived there
  • Because I have Costa Rican credit cards, most of the U.S Shops wont accept my money(Only U.S Banks issued cards), So no NewEgg, TigerDirect for me. Basically the only choices that I have are Amazon or Ebay

I mention this so you have an idea, and like I said maybe it will clarify some of my component choices, that's it.
Basically the purpose of the PC is like 55% HTPC and 45% gaming, something like that. I don't have room in my room for a desk so the PC will be hook up to a 46 LCD TV(Big expense from last year)
So now the list, first some pictures that I just took:

img1739kw2.jpg

img1740uk8.jpg

my.php

img1742hz7.jpg

img1743wj8.jpg

• Cosmos Case 1000
  • Nvidia 9800gx2 SSC(Basically I had this for another project of a water cooled SLI build that I was dreaming off, but money run out, life complicated, and so GPU is going in this one :rolleyes:)
  • Asus Maximus Formula
  • 3x 500GB Western Digital
  • 150GB Velocity Raptor
  • 4x 1gb Corsair Dominator XMS2-8500 1066mhz 5-5-5-15
  • Antec True Power Quatro 850
  • Zerotherm Nirvana
  • Intel Q6600 0G

Stuff that are still missing

• Avertv Combo PCIE(M780)
  • Thermaltake A2414 80mm Blue LED Dual PCI Slot Fan( I am planing to run 2 of these next to the 9800gx2, I read that it is a little hot down there, maybe this will cool things a bit?)
  • Adesso 2.4 GHz RF Wireless Mini Keyboard with Optical Trackball( Great small wireless Trackball integrated keyboard for HTPC needs, i think)
  • Kingston FCR-HS219/1 USB 2.0 Hi-Speed 19-in-1 Media Reader
  • Some cable sleeves
  • 4x Noctua NF-P12 Vortex( I am planning of removing all the Cases fans and adding this ones, I know that the fans of the case are not that bad, but have read great thing about this ones , what do you guys think?,http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2F13KK758WMXQ&v=glance)

Also I was planing to get a good audio card, I am planning to hook it to a receiver so I need to have Optical out. I was thinking about the Xonar DX, what do you guys think? http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2F13KK758WMXQ&v=glance
A little expensive but I am just tired of creative.
Also ones of my main concerns is the PSU, do you guys think will be enough???:shrug:
Well there you have it, my proud and joy, lol
Any suggestions, opinions, help, are very very welcome guys! Hopefully next weeks I can have pics of every hook up for you guys.:p
BTW, sorry for the long post and weird English

My only concern is the psu. I had that exact model and had to return it because it had a conflict with my 8800GT gpu at the time. I kept getting an error saying that the gpu wasn't getting enough power and it was downgrading the performance of the card in order to keep it from being damaged. I know antec makes good products but I'm leary of using that model. I like the modular design and maybe I just had a bad one so you should be ok. If not, then at least you know about the issue.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Hopefully it will be enough, if not I will need to get one of those corsairs ones.
Anyone else that have experience with this Antec 850 PSU?

It looks like it'll be a pretty good computer. It must have taken awhile to save up for all of that. It should be well worth it.

Hey Hardin, thanks, hopefully it will. It has been like 7 months of buying components. I am still worried about the PSU.....:s.....

Back