• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a new PC for the first time in years

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

inpherno

Registered
It's been maybe as much as 5 years since I built my last PC. Thats the one I'm using right now. Originally bought an Athlon XP Mobile Barton, slapped on a big cooler and overclocked it.

I've put this machine through some serious abuse and considering it's dirt cheap price when I bought it, it's served me extremely well. I'm surprised it's still functioning after been always-on for most of those 5 years!

Needless to say, my tolerence for the performance of this machine is starting to deminish, and I'm very much wanting to get back into PC gaming. I've done a lot of research (and that took quite some time considering I completely lost touch with all the lastest hardware), and have come up with a final list of parts for my new machine.

I'm working on quite a tight budget of 400 GBP, but I already have a lot of usable parts from this machine. My soundblaster audigy soundcard, keyboard, mouse, monitor, harddrives (2x SATA), speakers, dvd drive, and even case and PSU can all be carried over to the new system; which means all I need is a Mobo, CPU and RAM. My step dad will be giving me his old pci express nvidia 7900 GS to keep me going until i fork out for a 4870 X2.

Here's what I plan on getting a week today (from CCLOnline):

• Asus P5Q Pro (link)
  • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core (link)
  • 4GB Corsair XMS2 DHX 800MHz DDR2 Dual Channel Memory Kit (link)

The prices from that company aren't the best around, but they are local and it means I can just drive down and pick it all up. Plus, I've had a great experience from them when things go wrong.

I'm planning on overclocking the CPU (and the GFX card, but thats only until I get a 4870 X2), so will be throwing away the stock cooler and buying a better one. And thats where I could use some help really. With so many coolers on the market it's difficult to decide. Bare in mind that it will need to be available at CCLOnline, because I won't be around to accept any deliveries.

I'm hoping to achieve at least 3.4ghz on air cooling and would prefer a cooler that doesn't sound like a hair dryer (as my current one does :S).

Another question: My current PSU is a 480W (this one: link). Will this be okay for what I've listed?

I plan to buy a new better known brand PSU when I come to buy a 4870 X2, so will my existing PSU be sufficient in the mean time? I'd rather not buy a new PSU right now, as my budget is tight, and if all these parts are good, I I will have enough money to get a new PSU and GFX card next month.

Any help and advice is much appreciated and any suggestions of alternatives to the parts I've listed would be useful.

Thanks!
Phill

I would definitely get a larger PSU if you are going to eventually own a 4870x2 card. There is a link in my sig with a hand-picked power supply list. You will need about 650Watts with the X2.

However, unless you are mostly into multitasking, I would consider a high clocked 45nm dual core CPU such as the E8400 or E8500. They OC very well, have a 15% increase in performance due to die shrink, and produce less heat. They are also going to provide better frame rates during gaming as current games do not make efficient use of quad core architectures.

-D

I would definitely get a larger PSU if you are going to eventually own a 4870x2 card. There is a link in my sig with a hand-picked power supply list. You will need about 650Watts with the X2.

Yeah, and I will get a larger PSU, when I come to buy an X2. I can either afford to buy a PSU or a new HDD, and right now I'd rather get the HDD, then save for both a new PSU and X2. I watch a lot of movies and it's handy to be able to rip them to my HDD (and I'll be doing more of that than playing games until I get the gfx card).

However, unless you are mostly into multitasking, I would consider a high clocked 45nm dual core CPU such as the E8400 or E8500. They OC very well, have a 15% increase in performance due to die shrink, and produce less heat. They are also going to provide better frame rates during gaming as current games do not make efficient use of quad core architectures.

I mostly will be into multi-tasking, as that's what I've hated most with my current system. I do a lot of DVD/CD ripping and encoding, so I'm thinking the Quad core would be a real benefit there. Also, I'm into OS design, and have been programming my own OS as a hobby with a friend, so the extra cores would be a big benefit when I implement multi-threading into the Kernel. Not only that, but Photoshop gets a lot of use from me these days with my new found interest in photography.

Now, I'm assuming the advantage the new 45nm architecture has for gaming is marginal. From what I've seen on various tests and reviews, the Q6600 shouldn't be a bottleneck for the X2 at all if clocked above spec.

Thanks for the input, I'll have a look at that PSU, though would 650W really be enough? This power supply calculator doesn't seem to think so:
http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

EDIT: How about this one?: http://www.cclonline.com/product-in...ry_id=1&manufacturer_id=102&tid=cmpsu-750txuk

Cheers,
Phill

Last edited:
The Corsair TX750 is a great power supply and a very good choice for your proposed system upgrade. I'm running 4 Corsair psu's and all 4 are great choices. Corsair uses quality components in their psu's and the OEM's they use make good power supplies. The OEM for the TX750 is Channelwell Technologies (CWT).

Now, I'm assuming the advantage the new 45nm architecture has for gaming is marginal. From what I've seen on various tests and reviews, the Q6600 shouldn't be a bottleneck for the X2 at all if clocked above spec.

What resolution is your monitor?

Right now I'm on a 20" CRT that does 1600x1200 nicely (yep 4:3). Though I'm used to playing games in 1280x960 without AA.

I will, in a few weeks, be looking into a large HD TV/Monitor (24 - 28 inch), which will of course be 1920x1080 (or 1920x1200). I'll be wanting to use this system when I get that.

Also... A friend just recommended this: http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=17916&tid=gsearch

Any good?

If you're into bling, sure. For value, you're probably better off with http://www.cclonline.com/product-in...ategory_id=99&manufacturer_id=0&tid=ocztvend2

With a 4870X2, that Q6600 will be bottlenecking it somewhat at 1600x1200, a bit lesss at 1920x1200, but still, you won't be getting full performance out of the card. The processor is just kinda slow, at least for gaming. Crank it up to 4ghz and it won't be an issue but that's pretty rare :p

ati = catalyst control center (AHHHHHHHHHHHH) i love ATi but they just don't have there schiz-nitz together when it comes to making them stable drivers

Nvidia = better drivers, more support, 90% of them are stable with all games, depending on the manufacture of your card you can get some neat tools for overclocking

If you're into bling, sure. For value, you're probably better off with http://www.cclonline.com/product-in...ategory_id=99&manufacturer_id=0&tid=ocztvend2

Looks good, I'll checkout some reviews.

With a 4870X2, that Q6600 will be bottlenecking it somewhat at 1600x1200, a bit lesss at 1920x1200, but still, you won't be getting full performance out of the card. The processor is just kinda slow, at least for gaming. Crank it up to 4ghz and it won't be an issue but that's pretty rare :p
So an E8400 would be a much better choice for gaming? I'm tempted since it's cheaper than the Q6600 anyway. I'd just have to decide whether I want faster decoding/extracting of media files or smoother gaming... wait... what am I saying? I'm going for the E8400... Games being smoother is more critical than shaving a few seconds off a DVD rip!

Drew1Down said:
ati = catalyst control center (AHHHHHHHHHHHH) i love ATi but they just don't have there schiz-nitz together when it comes to making them stable drivers

Nvidia = better drivers, more support, 90% of them are stable with all games, depending on the manufacture of your card you can get some neat tools for overclocking
I've actually stuck with NVIDIA in the past for their better drivers (especially since I use Linux a lot), so I'll have to think hard about whether I really do want to get an ATI card. They have recently open sourced their drivers so maybe something good will come of that.

Last edited:
A 4870 1GB or GTX 260 (216 core) will be plenty for a 24" at 1900 x 1200. If you want a little more video power for a bigger monitor then get a GTX 285. The overclocked versions of the GTX 285 perform just as well as the 4870X2 in some games if not better and is cheaper. http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2009/01/16/nvidia-zotac-geforce-gtx-285-1gb/11 I also say get the E8400 and crank it up to 4.0GHz.

That sounds like a good idea. I'm already pretty settled on the E8400 now. If I reeeeeally feel the need for quad core later in the year, I can always go crazy and get a Q9550 or something.

Looking at PSUs, I'm tempted to get an OCZ 700W Stealth Xtream rather than the Corsair. It looks like a fairly new PSU and couldn't find any reviews. I did find reviews of the 600W version which came out very good though.

Thanks to everyone for their help, and keep the recommendations coming if you think I've missed something :).

Back