• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

building a rig for about 1250$

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'd wait for AMD's Zambezi chips due out this fall. Price to performance ratio should be in AMD's favor by early September.

You linked the CPU twice btw :)

I dont know about that ram suggestion. That corsair is rated at 8-8-8 vs the gskils 9-9-9 at the same capacity and clock speed the corsair should perform better.

Also I recommend a SSD for the OS/software. If your not installing alot of programs a 60gb is plenty. However the OCZ RevoDrives are crazy fast by comparison to any other SSD. The 110gb version runs about 220 on the egg.

I would do something along these lines personally

1200sys.jpg

+whatever PSU and case you like

If you wanted to wait for bulldozer then sub the thuban for a $50 dualcore or something for a few months.

Last edited:
Original Revodrive isn't worth it. New-gen SATAIII SSD's are almost as fast (not in I/O).

I know the CL8 vs CL9, but it isn't worth $20 IMO.

humm your right. I havnt dug through the SSD list that closely in a while. Last look most drives were running 270ish max on sata 2/3, the new sanforce controllers seem to be pushing 550ish on avg and much less expensive.

swaping in this SSD for the revodrive brings down the price to 979, leaves you 270 for case, psu, cooling, and whatever else you like.
however looking at the budget this is looking much nicer overall

1200sys2.jpg

Last edited:
humm your right. I havnt dug through the SSD list that closely in a while. Last look most drives were running 270ish max on sata 2/3, the new sanforce controllers seem to be pushing 550ish on avg and much less expensive.

swaping in this SSD for the revodrive brings down the price to 979, leaves you 270 for case, psu, cooling, and whatever else you like.
however looking at the budget this is looking much nicer overall

1200sys2.jpg

What if I want a better mother board which one would do well ?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131736
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131735
And would that particular SSD be the best ? Ive been hearing complaints about Corsair SSD's
I am also confused about one other thing I get why people choose the graphic card model but what I dont get is how do you choose which company like if i want a 6950 2GB how do I know which company is best

The ones I wouldn't buy are Powercolor, VisonTek, and Diamond. The rest are fine, it'd probably be fine if you bought any of those anyway.

The UD3 is a good enough motherboard, no need to spend more unless there's a feature that you NEED that isn't on it.

IMO why are you getting a $180 CPU that's going to be replaced in a matter of months? Just get a Phenom X4 955 for $100 and sell it when Bulldozer comes out.

The Force 3 120GB had a recall, the 60GB is fine.

Also, a waste of money on the RAM, why pay $125 for CL7 when CL9 is half the price? : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

Well If need a 120GB SSD .Which one would you suggest?
And is this OCZ actually as good as they say it is when it comes to SSD's
Will the 990X support the bulldozer processors ?
Ive heard Saphire and XFX are pretty good when it comes to graphic cards

The reason I selected those particular video cards is the coolers are quieter, and the cards are factory OC. If your worried about corsair SSDs you could try the OCZ agility or vertex drives they are very popular also. 990x/990fx both support bulldozer.

I have no issue with the motherboard. I believe that buying a 1100T right now is a waste of money.

Corsair Force GT, OCZ Agility/Vertex 3 and all good drives.

I think I'll go with the OCZ Vertex 3/Agility
No cooling should be required for this rig right ?

Yeah I would get an aftermarket cooler and overclock the CPU if I were you, but that is entirely up to you.

What about waiting to build this for a little while? I keep hearing stuff about bulldozer and how it is rumoured to be released soon. Then you can base a build around this if you can take advantage of more cores and maybe better performance per clock. Although if this is just a gaming rig you wouldn't really notice the difference either way.

I will be doing a similar build with the same board and RAM as Knufire recommended and pairing it with a Crucial m4 128gb SSD

Yeah I would get an aftermarket cooler and overclock the CPU if I were you, but that is entirely up to you.

What about waiting to build this for a little while? I keep hearing stuff about bulldozer and how it is rumoured to be released soon. Then you can base a build around this if you can take advantage of more cores and maybe better performance per clock. Although if this is just a gaming rig you wouldn't really notice the difference either way.

I have already waited too long and Im really tired of my current laptop .So I have decided to build a bulldozer ready pc .I really doubt I am going to overclock much.But I will be running my computer very long hours thus the cooling question .

Back