• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BUILDING you own PSU....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheFrag

Well, I know it is possible, but is it real safe? I need a small PSU and was considering making my own, although it woul dbe quite hard, once again , if possible. I need stuff to do when I am bored. Thnx :burn:

In order to build anything relatively small....you'd have to go switching. Which requires a lot of know-how and time...not to mention calculations. It's probaly cheaper and easier to just buy one. However, it can be done. If I had more know how I'd make one even if it was more expensive than buying.....read books!!! If you dont mind it being big though....go ahead and go linear, like the one linked above

I've got the Radio Shack book, and after figuring out the costs, it is definitely cheaper to buy one. of course, if you needed a really specialized PSU, it'd be the way to go.

stool said:
I've got the Radio Shack book, and after figuring out the costs, it is definitely cheaper to buy one. of course, if you needed a really specialized PSU, it'd be the way to go.

Got the book too, havent tried building one yet (cause stuff like that requires time :D) but it seems to be about the same price. just as long as you avoid getting the parts from Radio Shaq ;) :p

How big in watts and size do youuneed? I work at a computer store and we have had a few people order a power supply from those shuttle boxes. they are really small and are 200watts. The dimensions of it are 6" wide, a little over 3' high and 2' deep. they are really nice to fit in a small space.

Sniperboy said:
You can buy power supplies from companies like All Electronics for pretty cheap. I've seen some good ones in there for around 5-10 bucks.

www.allelctronics.com , www.digikey.com (tho a bit expensive) and several others who's names I dont have with me.

*edit*and Im off for the day..hopefuly my router has come so I can reinstall OS and get back online..heh. well time to go)

Everyone is saying it'll be so expensive to build your own, but what range are we talking about, over $100?

no, like not a lot, like 40. I just need like a 200 watt (quality) with good rails. Needs to be small. I was looking at those shuttle ones that were forementioned and 1U PSUs.

i built myself a power supply for running just the fans, lights, pumps, and what not using plans similar to these powersupply lots of other neat stuff there too.

made my kids happy since i could give back the power supply for the train set.

Back