• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bulldozer: SuperPi32M @ 7.7GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
I did this for our benchmarking team, and mentioned it in the private section where I was getting help from the team, so I also wanted to share the result publicly here with other members. Just sharing. :thup:

This is the fastest 32M run on Bulldozer at this point - it is hard to get SP32M to complete without crashing at this high of a frequency. There is one Thuban which has ran SP32M 3 seconds faster, and there are multiple Denebs which have done it faster. This is 2 seconds faster than I ran SP32M on a 965 BE @ 6.618GHz. Bulldozer just isn't very good on SuperPi.

Final SuperPi32M time: 10 minutes 53.125 seconds.

The OS was Vista32, stripped to barebones, and with several tweaks held by our benchmarking team. SuperPi is single threaded, so only 2 cores were enabled, and I set the superpi process affinity to core 0 which ran at 7.7GHz, the other core was idling at 5GHz. Settings were as follows:

CPU: 7.740GHz at 1.932V (LN2)
CPU-NB: 3.736GHz at 1.55V
RAM: 2135MHz 7-9-7-24 1T at 1.65V

CPU: FX-8120
Mobo: Crosshair V Formula
RAM: Gskill Flares 2000Mhz 7-9-7-24 2T @ 1.65V

sp32m10m53.125s.JPG

HWBot Details

This probably isn't the best score I can get, but I probably won't push it any further - I believe I could improve this score by up to 10 seconds if I put in more time, but I am happy with this for now as I was trying to break 11 minutes, and I did. Not many people run sp32m on Bulldozer, but maybe I'll push it further if anyone can beat me.

The chip is the same FX-8120 which got 4th in the world for CPU frequency at 8.235GHz.

Last edited:
superb result of supreme effort. doesnt get any better than that, you managed your goal and a gold all at the same time. nice work

I guess its the upside to people shunning BD, less people to compete with lol, congrats.

Meh, thats a downside too really. :) The more people that compete, the more points good scores are worth - this score is good, but worth no points since very few people are running sp32m with the chip and submitting results.

Just read an article today that BD sales are doing well though, despite the poor reviews and enthusiast reception. I find that hard to believe, but it will be interesting to see how things turn out in AMDs financial reports - hopefully good, and it puts them on track for better R&D.

Well thats the thing though, benchmarks mean nothing to the average joe, and according to BD owners, the desktop feel is just great and it does everthing they need it to quickly and easily. maybe with a revision or two more poeple will start benching them, or better windows support, but now is now and you set a bar for people at least.

Its just nice to see something positive about BD from time to time.

me thinks its a good thing the 8150 store was out of 8150 when you were ready to purchase

me thinks its a good thing the 8150 store was out of 8150 when you were ready to purchase

lol, I've thought of that a couple times... If it weren't for them being out, I never would have bought this gem of an 8120. :D

It's especially ironic, as I started with an fx-6100 in hopes of finding a lower binned chip that also did well, since most people were aiming at the fx-8150 after it initially broke the frequency record. But when the fx-6100 didn't even break 8GHz, I was ready to buy the 8150 also. Funny the way things work out sometimes.

BTW, I mentioned I was getting help from the team... 95% of any benching I do, I wouldn't get the scores I get if it weren't for our team. A lot of those guys know quite a bit of benchmarking specific tweaks and secrets they've learned from experience - many of them haven't gone subzero before (and many of them have gone subzero a lot), but they still know more than I do about a lot of things and help people like me put up cool scores. :)

BTW, I mentioned I was getting help from the team... 95% of any benching I do, I wouldn't get the scores I get if it weren't for our team. A lot of those guys know quite a bit of benchmarking specific tweaks and secrets they've learned from experience - many of them haven't gone subzero before (and many of them have gone subzero a lot), but they still know more than I do about a lot of things and help people like me put up cool scores. :)

Acknowledged, so well done team :thup:

I would like to be a part of a benching team but my system is not upto it, i can't get clocks over 4.1Ghz and the best wPrime 32M i got so far was 6.7sec.

I have better cooling on the way in the form of a HAF 912-Plus Case and a CM Hyper 412s CPU cooler. That will drop my temps as my current OCZ cooler has a contact plate that's as rough as 1970's textured wall paper and a virtual vapor chamber that's all but completely disconnected from the heat pipes.

My CM Elite 330 case is also to small and crowded inside. the heat in there just builds up like an oven.

But even when its all siting nice and cool i doubt i will get much more out of it, sadly.

Back