• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Burnt athlon switching to xeon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well the pb is that 2000s do burn.... and that sucks =)
Plus the xeons seem to overclock much better

It's all your flavor, mate...the 760 platform is aging, and if that's the reason for your upgrade, I won't stop you...

earion said:
is 64 bit worth it yet ? Does it really make a difference ?

It will, but right now, no....

Well, it's your choice to make. Your old board won't have any thermal protection. Personally, either Xeon or Opteron is just as good/competitive in 32-bit with only 2 processors.

I'd go with a 64-bit processor though for future proofing.....

MLMIB said:
audio, those xeons oc'd at all?
I've just been loafin' at around 25% OC. Since I FAH 24/7 I haven't pushed it very much. Soon I'll redo my cooling and do a BESL and VID pin mod to get them @ 200fsb stable. then I'll see what they can do while doing 4xFAH 24/7. If the temps get past 60°C or FAH becomes unstable, then I'll have hit my limit.

nope, what happened is i got an artic cooler kit (added my own pump to the system too) and used their waterblock, and for some reason i had reset the bios to the default settings, thus disabling the high temperature warning.... and then left the comp on for several hours in a room that can get really warm. Very stupid stuff.... :)
oh btw i'm selling my setup when i get my new equipment if anyone is interested. The kit will include my k7d master, the one proc (athlon mp 2000+) and if you want, my wcing setup (2 dtek sipr@l, 1 dtek spiral gpu cooler, via aqua 1300 modded, complete kingwin artic cooler kit).

i was gonna DIY it cuz i know how hot this dually gets...i already have a car heater core on the way..just needa pair of WB's..was gonna get a cheapo einem off of ebay for like 20

that doenst make sense tho, it just heated up? i mean, even if u have the safety disabled shoulndt it STILL cool it correctly? i know my mobo shuts off if it overheats...but like, what caused it to overheat? rad too small or something?

I'm fairly certain all the old Athlon MP boards didn't implement the thermal protection.....

well the rads in the kit are pretty small but there's 2 of them so it's alright... no the problem was, i think, the waterblock. Ever since i put it, i could se a massive flow restriction in the system. And since it's not see-thru i don't know what the design looks like. But i think the wb is the culprit (well I am for using it hehe)....

hey guys thanks for the help... I just got myself a NCCH-DL and a 2.8 nocona, they should be here tonight. Me excited =)
I have a little question though : i used an antec true430 and i don't think it will work witht the ncch-dl because it doesn't have the 8pin 12v outlet. It sucks because that would be another 100$ to spend. Is there any way i can use the board with my 430 for now ?

I have the true430, and it works with the 4 connector instead of the 8 for extra power, also it works with the 20 pin instead of the 24 for the main power. I did though buy the adapter cables on ebay and install them about a week later for my own peace-of-mind.

Hm maybe mine's a 480, let me check my sig lol. yup 480. Sorry thought that's what you had. I'd say if you have it already, give it a try. If you had a generic 480 i'd say no way because that's just peak output, but since it's an Antec at least it will be a steady flow. All I can offer is telling you that mine is smooth on a 480 overclocked from 2.4 to 3.6 with volt mod and even before the adapters, so we're talking 50 watts difference :/

it should be fine for this week, i only have one proc for now anyway... I will get an antec 550 or something later on though. How did you plug the 4pin into the 8pin ? id don't get that part... it says in the manual that the system will not boot up if the 8pin power cable is not connected... :confused:

I've researched this immensly recently, you just plug it all the way on 1 side of the 8 pin connector. They are all +12 and GND's, 4 of each... so the input is half there and can spread to the other connectors via the mobo. I don't get why they do this anyway since the line of 4 pins on each side are all bridged together anyway. Guess they figure given the proper power supply you'd have some pretty hefty gauge wire combos going in to the board.

I don't even think it's ...really needed :/

The mobo will be just fine on 4 pins :)

If you plan to run Noconas on your NCCH-DL, you'll need to get at least a 500w 30a 12v rail PS. EPS12 is what you'll eventually want to get.

Audioaficionado said:
If you plan to run Noconas on your NCCH-DL, you'll need to get at least a 500w 30a 12v rail PS. EPS12 is what you'll eventually want to get.
he does have an EPS12 now, the EPS12 connector is 4 pins instead of 8pins that a server board needs.

But it's still an EPS12.

If the PS only has 4 + 20 then it's not really a EPS12V. EPS12V should have 8 + 24. The NCCH-DL is speced for 600W and the 12V rail should have 30amps. Whatever delivers that much power to all the right places will work. Cable adaptors will work either way.

The choice of power supply is as critical as the CPUs, memory & mobo and shouldn't be skimped on if at all possible. A lot of weird hardware gliches can be traced down to an inadequate PS.

Back