• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Burnt chip on mobo, what is it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Helgaiden

So im looking at buying an x79 board, an Asus P9x79e-WS, and the owner claims he pulled it out of his rig working fine but noticed a burnt chip by the CMOS battery. No idea what it does or what risk it poses by being burnt out, but he wants a $100 for the board and im thinking i want to offer a bit less than that...any ideas?

burnt chip.jpg

Looks like a mosfet. Being as how most motherboard power delivery components are near what they service I would hazard a guess that it has something to do with either the CMOS or that blue USB? port.

Looks like a mosfet. Being as how most motherboard power delivery components are near what they service I would hazard a guess that it has something to do with either the CMOS or that blue USB? port.

Oh yeah, i suppose it could go to that header. Theres probably more than one usb 2.0 header on that board too. Would you risk this purchase? The owner claims everything always worked great and didn't even know about that until he upgraded and saw it with his own eyes (of course). Im not sure how i feel about it.

So im looking at buying an x79 board, an Asus P9x79e-WS, and the owner claims he pulled it out of his rig working fine but noticed a burnt chip by the CMOS battery. No idea what it does or what risk it poses by being burnt out, but he wants a $100 for the board and im thinking i want to offer a bit less than that...any ideas?

View attachment 194351

That was a surface mount resistor or a surface mount fuse that burned up.
burnpart.jpg

That was a surface mount resistor or a surface mount fuse that burned up.
View attachment 194356

Dang, nice. I mean if its a fuse then that means its designed to take a hit so something doesn't have to. Oh well. I think i might give it a shot if he says it works fine, but i offered him way less than asking (a number im okay with possibly losing) because of that issue. We'll see how this goes. He said hes gotta think about it.

I can see 24v XX50F. Can't make out the the first 2 symbols. If you can make out the symbols, you can probably fix it by soldering a new one.

Back