• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

buy 5930K with MSI God like carbon board or get a 5960X with cheap board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DavidW

Hi I'm building a new rig and was planning on getting the 5930K with the MSI God like gaming board carbon edition. then I came across a post were someone was planning on getting the same CPU and board. He was advised to not do that. He stated in his opinion that he could save $100 and buy the 5960X and cheaper $200 board but gave no more information why it would be better. would this be a better deal? I don't really need anything as powerful as both of these combos anyway but I'm putting together my dream machine just because I can haha, so I don't want to make it about what is needed. I just think that board is pretty sexy but would hate to go that route if the other combo will serve me better in the long run. Thanks

Why are you worried about the long run in a couple of years that system will just be outdated, no one give a darn about a old PC. Why ask if you just want to spend your money, buy the most expensive.

Here is a video on the 5930K X99 PCI-E

Last edited:
Unless I had a need for the extra PCI lanes I would go with the 5930K. They aren't that far behind the Skylake chips and I like the extra cores. A little OC and you're right in the mix with the new chip's speed + a couple extra cores.

Why are you worried about the long run in a couple of years that system will just be outdated

Said the guy with the 5 year old chip. (That still beats the bejibbers out of mine) LOL.

Unless you need the extra PCIe lanes, and the cores, there really isn't a point. What are you doing with that PC that a $1000 CPU is a consideration?

You can likely easily be happy with a 6700K and Z170 based board for years.

Unless you need the extra PCIe lanes, and the cores, there really isn't a point.

I have been prone to throwing out the argument about games using more cores and in the future and so on , but , I have to confess that still seems to be more of a talking point than a reality. I don't know of any games where a "lowly" four core Skylake is going to hold anybody back. Consider this my disclaimer. I like the idea of 6 cores a lot more than I have a need for 6 cores. :)

Assuming this PC will be for games ...
Still not many games are fully using more than 4 cores. Most even new online games are still using 2 cores. There are of course titles that can use 8 cores+ but sometimes you have to ask yourself if it's really worth to pay $2k for a pc for 2-3 games ?
Right now the best idea for gaming is to get 6600K/6700K and medium DDR4 Z170 board ( as some others said in this thread ) or 5820K + any motherboard which has enough ports/slots as every X99 board is actually high end and most of them have the same features.

If you need this PC for anything else then it's still better to get 5820K than to pay more for 5930K, not to mention 5960X. Even the fastest graphics cards can't fully utilize PCIe 3.0 x16 and x8 is just right in SLI/CF.

I think I already answered to the question about X99 board difference. In general all are overclocking the same, all have the same base features as all share the same chipset. The main difference are additional controllers, more or less LAN ports, maybe WiFi or USB 3.1 ports. So if you won't use anything from these additional ports and you won't overclock above ~4.8GHz then every motherboard will be about the same.

Back