• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I get a faster cpu then 1.2ghz in my Latitude D420?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hyperasus

K so I just bought one of dells ultra portable Latitude D420 notebooks. It has 1.5 gigs of RAM
1.2ghz ultra low voltage core2duo (ULV U2500)
32GB solid state hard drive

The 1.2ghz is bothering me. 1.2ghz is the fastest dell offers for this laptop. But can I just buy a faster chip and install it myself? Maybe there are some volt mods so I could buy a 2ghz chip and undervolt it. Any ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

hyperasus said:
K so I just bought one of dells ultra portable Latitude D420 notebooks. It has 1.5 gigs of RAM
1.2ghz ultra low voltage core2duo (ULV U2500)
32GB solid state hard drive

The 1.2ghz is bothering me. 1.2ghz is the fastest dell offers for this laptop. But can I just buy a faster chip and install it myself? Maybe there are some volt mods so I could buy a 2ghz chip and undervolt it. Any ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure if you would be able to get a faster chip in there. That is a ULV chip, so, unless the motherboard supports higher voltage CPU's, you probably can't swap for a faster CPU, also the laptop might not have cooling good enough to handle a faster/hotter CPU

EDIT: But if you find out that the board does support a faster CPU, then it's just a matter of taking the thing apart and swapping the CPU. It should have a ZIF style socket, so it'll swap out just like a Desktop CPU

Bummer. I hope the solid state hard drive makes up for the slow CPU.

This brings up another issue. The notebook has an SD card reader built in. I will be installing Vista Home premium on it. Do you think it would be worth picking up a fast 4gb SD card for ReadyBoost? Would the SD card just get in the way of the even faster 32gb sold state drive?

hyperasus said:
This brings up another issue. The notebook has an SD card reader built in. I will be installing Vista Home premium on it. Do you think it would be worth picking up a fast 4gb SD card for ReadyBoost? Would the SD card just get in the way of the even faster 32gb sold state drive?

Yeah, I think that SSD will be much faster than any SD card you could get. It would just slow things down more than help.

you should post a cap of that thing in HD tach. lm sure lots of peeps would like to see

What I'd like to do is plug it in to my main rig for some testing before I install it in my laptop. Anyone know of some kind of adapter to achieve this?

nope. ssd drives should all be serial ata, so you just plug it into your existing hardware. of course, i also remember reading numerous articles stating ssd drives to still have a ways to go before they can match desktop drives in performence. like.. quad channel internal flash memory or somthing heh.

but seing how that compares to a usb drive would be really neat in hdtune.
32gb to... id hate to think what you paid for that sucker =O. what kinda battery life you getting on there?
as for upgrading your chip, I wouldnt hold your breath. A lot of subnotebooks *my tc4200 included* have embedded cpu's. Your cpu is rediculously cherry picked for low wattage.

Valk said:
nope. ssd drives should all be serial ata, so you just plug it into your existing hardware. of course, i also remember reading numerous articles stating ssd drives to still have a ways to go before they can match desktop drives in performence. like.. quad channel internal flash memory or somthing heh.

but seing how that compares to a usb drive would be really neat in hdtune.
32gb to... id hate to think what you paid for that sucker =O. what kinda battery life you getting on there?
as for upgrading your chip, I wouldnt hold your breath. A lot of subnotebooks *my tc4200 included* have embedded cpu's. Your cpu is rediculously cherry picked for low wattage.

The upgrade price on Dell.com is like $450 for the SSD :)

I bought the drive separate from the notebook for $500 directly from dell. It's not sata I know that for sure. This is why you can only get the solid state drive in the D420 and none of the other Latitudes. D520, D620, & D820 are all using sata. I read somewhere that dell is releasing the D630 in a month or so and it will have some solid state & hybrid drive options. If this turns out to be true I will probably be getting a few of those drives to upgrade the drives in a couple of D620's I have. But because these new drives will be SATA first I would plug the 2 drives directly into my ICH8R on RAID0 for some HDTach goodness. 2007 has turned out to be a real interesting year for hard drive technology.

Oh and you asked about battery life. I bought the optional media base and 2 9-cell extended batteries. I"ll be getting a full 14 hours of battery life on this notebook. Solid state hard drive and the insane long run times were the whole reason I chose the the D420.

Back