• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I get some suggestions for a new mobo please?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Frekken de shett. I am 'searching' hard for UD4P and crappy arse hebay sends me on goose chase. I think that is why the board was less than all the other UD4P boards because it was n0t a 790-UD4P. Crap.

I don't see a single UD4P for sale on hebay for less than $100.00 that even has the I/O port cover with the board.

RGone...

Oh I see why an upgrade was a good idea.... anyone who has a good board for my stuff is keeping it! :) Thats just good clean fun right there

Other times you can get them for $25 buy it now. It is just a crap shoot basically.

well i am pretty smitten with the gigbyte but its kinda expensive. I checked all over the place, even at sites I hadnt really heard of before ( I know its a bad idea , but the bug had bitten me ) Im not seeing one atm. There is a guy selling a board, a cpu and some ddr3 for less than the board I want though..... nah. Ill wait a bit and see if I can find something. Damn shame too, Im gonna be stuck on that m4a79 for a while. Not that that theres anything wrong with it per se, I just dont think I get the juice I need or want. More suggestions are always appreciated though. I wasnt specifically asking about giga in the OP, casual reading just suggests that its might be one of the frontrunners. I do remeber at one time confining my searches to the 790x SB750 (but I dont know what that means, I just knew that was matched my stuff at the time.) Good grief, I never thought it would be so hard to find a mobo!

It isn't hard to find a motherboard. You are making it hard. There are a plethora of good boards out there new and used. For $80 you can get a new Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P.

Yeah and that with some good 2x4gig G Skill DDR3-1866 and cooling might push that 965BE to 3.8GHz for some real performance.

RGone...

I can boot at 3.8 already. i assume better cooling will make the difference (board played its trick after I installed the new cooler) so Im not sure I need all that to get 3.8. I was hoping that if I really onsidered the upgrade it would put 4.0 + in easy reach honestly. But the fact is for what Im seeing I can get 4gb x 2 ddr3 and a new board for less than just a new board to fit my current set (which still makes me think that folks are holding on to what they have because it is good enough to walk around with---- Im pretty untrusting of the fact that the upgrade is cheaper than yesteryears model) I figured I could keep the cost down to 50 or below by sticking with what I had. Im being swayed and I dont like it :) if you all could be so kind as to throw out a few more suggestions while I research what weve already discussed, I promise to quit replying to everything you say! Im going to take one more run through the list of all mobo I can find that will support ddr2 (and have a workable set of features) and see if I cant come up with one or two for reasonable. If after all that I still cant, then I will concede and upgrade, but I will want advice for that as well if you all would be so kind

Good old gen hardware in neither plentiful or cheap. I have boards that are worth 10x what they sold for new. You can't find them anymore.
Just like old cars.
Honestly, for what you're doing, DDR3 board and some ram and you'll be better off. Sell your old stuff to recoup some cash.

Alright Ive broekn down more, but am still holding on to hope. I was hoping the car analogy wouldnt occur to anyone else, but it sure does seem like searching for a classic. So here is one that Ive looked at a bit, asrock 970 extreme3 , is the xfast business anything to get excited about or can I do better for the price? (Floating around $50 atm)

Xfast on the ram is just a ramdisk. It's a marketing gimmick.
$50 is exciting though.

Is the socket in teh same position on the board across all boards or just on most of them? new cooler is bumping into the casefan on the side and I wondered if that issue is going to be solved with a saw or not :)

Ill start saving for that asus right away as I am sure to need alot of time to accumulate that kind of change, Boy it better be good too!

Edit: Ended up with the 790A-D3P and ignored the advice about what size ram to get. 2x8gb PNY 1866 is what I found by the end of the day. Im excited dont ruin it unless its important :) Update to sig when I get my stuff also it's Sunday now so I can still stop shipment if there is a glaring error with my choices

'Nother Edit: Looking at the QVL I noticed a couple of things I didnt want to see. First is that there isnt a stick above 4gb any where on that list, and the board I was looking at said "max 32gb supported" . Obviously this isnt as big a problem as I thought at first, but whats going on there?

Also i saw a not that said certain speeds were only supported with one dimm filled in each channel. SO what happens if I load 4 dimms with 1866 ? I know it gets downclocked but how far ? I know the reccomendation was for 2 x 4gb , but Im looking down the road....and also may ignore that reccomendation and the nice OC I might be able to get if I follow it. Feels wrong to ignore good advice, but I like as much ram as I can get over a few hundred mhz (repeating myself but it cant be helped) ...

Last edited:
Alright Ive broekn down more, but am still holding on to hope. I was hoping the car analogy wouldnt occur to anyone else, but it sure does seem like searching for a classic. So here is one that Ive looked at a bit, asrock 970 extreme3 , is the xfast business anything to get excited about or can I do better for the price? (Floating around $50 atm)

Not too many fans of ASRock boards in this forum. Especially their budget AM3+ boards. Might be good for a 965BE. I would not use a 6300 or 8350 in it.

So just to wrap up because I know you all are on the edge of your seats (and because I edited the last post about 100 times before the last reply) .....

I ended up with a gigabyte 970a-d3p for a reasonable price. Got all the junk with it as well. Driver disk and accessories such as they are. 2 x 8gb Pny 1866 (xlr8) for the ram. I was going to go for a full 32gb but I satisfied self with the upgrade I had and left room for improvement later. No way to tell which revision the board is until it gets here (read about revisions later, then when I checked what I had gotten found that it didn't say). This board narrowly beat out the MSI equivalent (even though the MSI was cheaper and had 2 more USB ports) because it has quite a few nice features and I read a huge article about how MSI used cheap mosfets on their 970 board and they were breaking under big Temps. Honestly I can barely tell a Mosfet from a hole in the wall but I didn't want that kind of trouble to save a couple dollars and have 2 (probably unneeded) more USB ports.

As far as the ASRock I was looking at, I found the idea of a ram disk to be intriguing because I know that systems with small amounts of memory use them to great advantage (Android mainly) but I am not well versed there either so at the end of the day I picked a board the looked like it had what I wanted.... Plenty of USB (2.0 and 3.0) descent power phasing IIRC and plenty of pci express slots. I don't know that I'll be able to take advantage of the sata III speeds with my current hardware but I assume backwards compatibility (fingers crossed.... Really should have looked into that now that I write this) wish me luck guys, and if you're lucky you'll hear no more questions from me, just bragging about giant OC :)

EDIT: damn it all to hell. I think I just read that I can't get 1866 speed without an am3+ proccy. First problem found I guess. Could have went with a lower speed ram
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2515.0.html

Last edited:
Back