• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can i switch hardware without formatting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lautaro13

Registered
Hello again OCF, here i am again trying to solve my doubts with you guys, i just bought the new components for my computer (CPU, mobo and RAM).

The thing is that if i try to boot with my hdd now it will bsod so what i wanted to ask you is for a way to avoid formatting my hdd again because i have plenty of software installed which either i dont remember who i lend it to or i dont have the installer anymore, and i cant lose.

Im writing from a live Ubuntu now.

Thats basically it, what can i do or software to use (doesnt matter if paid) to avoid a format.

Microsoft is pretty good about making it not work across multiple motherboards. If you have the old system, you could try to install the chipset/hard drive drivers and then moving it over. You could also try a repair install, but that will reset the registry and require a reinstall of the programs.

Either way, it isn't very likely this will work for you.

so theres no way to remove the old mobo drivers and let windows read the new ones when i switch it?

its Windows 7 Ultimate btw.

Normally, Windows 7 doesn't have any problem with changing hardware. When I upgraded from a C2D to a i7, I changed the motherboard, cpu (obviously), and ram. I did the swap, booted up Windows 7 (Home Premium at the time), it found the drivers for everything that it needed to and all was pretty much just fine. I did have to manually install some drivers, and remove some others, but other then that Win7 was running like normal.

Does the drive still work on the old hardware? If it does, then the BSOD is because of something else, and not because of new hardware. One thing I can think of, running the SATA controller chip in ACHI mode. On the new motherboard, set the SATA controller to normal IDE mode (no AHCI). This will allow the built in IDE drivers to work and boot up Windows. If all fine now, you can switch back to AHCI mode through a simple registry change. If it still wont boot even when putting the controller in IDE mode there may be some other hardware conflict, though I do not know what it might be without more information.

Last edited:
I havent booted up in windows with the new rig yet, thru the years i got used to see bsod when this has been done and since i dont want to mess anything i wont take the chance. As i said, im running a live linux right now.

Forgot to mention im switching from an intel rig (dual core) to an amd rig (fx 4100)

You could also try a repair install, but that will reset the registry and require a reinstall of the programs.

Either way, it isn't very likely this will work for you.

And probably undo all updates! (That means anything updated via Windows Update.)

The only way around that, is to create a custom Windows DVD with updates integrated.

There's information on how to do that at msfn.org.

I'm not sure if anything will work 100% successfully as you are changing from one hardware manufacturer, to another. In my situation, it was more like upgrading to newer hardware then switching. In your situation, you are going from Intel hardware to AMD hardware. You're talking about alot of totally different drivers, files, and (as pointed out by RJARRRPCGP) updates, some which may actually cause problems because they are not needed or compatible with AMD hardware. Driver cleaner can't help with installed updates.

I'm not sure what you can do, other then backup everything, or create a image on a 2nd drive, then just drop the new drive into the new hardware and cross your finger. My only other suggestion is re-install from scratch, but that doesn't help your situation. :(

Just checked out the sysprep link. I'd say go for it as it seems sounds, but make sure you have a good working backup or image on a 2nd drive first.

Best utility I've used (though certainly not the only method available) is Paragon's "Adaptive Recovery". Easy to use and can slip the new motherboard drivers into the existing windows install so upon first bootup it can detect and properly install the motherboard's components. This is really useful when moving an old operating system like Windows XP to a newer computer that would have a mainboard too new for any included XP drivers to detect/install.

Only drawback is a forced windows reactivation (in most cases). I'm not sure any method will avoid reactivation.

I'm not sure any method will avoid reactivation.
I'm fairly certain there is, but that is where we have to draw the line on what we can discuss. :)

I've learned quite a bit with the posts thus far and impressed at how much I didn't know.

Last edited:
Normally, Windows 7 doesn't have any problem with changing hardware. When I upgraded from a C2D to a i7, I changed the motherboard, cpu (obviously), and ram. I did the swap, booted up Windows 7 (Home Premium at the time), it found the drivers for everything that it needed to and all was pretty much just fine. I did have to manually install some drivers, and remove some others, but other then that Win7 was running like normal.

Does the drive still work on the old hardware? If it does, then the BSOD is because of something else, and not because of new hardware. One thing I can think of, running the SATA controller chip in ACHI mode. On the new motherboard, set the SATA controller to normal IDE mode (no AHCI). This will allow the built in IDE drivers to work and boot up Windows. If all fine now, you can switch back to AHCI mode through a simple registry change. If it still wont boot even when putting the controller in IDE mode there may be some other hardware conflict, though I do not know what it might be without more information.
That's pretty cool, I wasn't aware that you could do that with windows.

The best solution is to back up your hdd by installing your old hardware and then format it.
The reason is because windows has a lot of bsod errors and some drivers of your old hardware could cause a bsod even with your new hardware although it might run.
You are just going to waste your time. Trust me. BSOD is very annoying

If spending a few bucks isn't an issue, I've used Acronis True Image Home with the Plus Pack to clone the drive, then restore it to new hardware. No activation, no hassle. Cost was somewhere in the $40-$50 range for both total.

One stupid thing that did pop up for me: I had the AHCI disabled on original install but had it enabled on the system I was restoring to. BSOD!

Back