• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I use a Server?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThunderSpirit

Registered
I have been thinking about replacing my desktop for a while now with something dedicated to image processing. I am typically handling large image files from 400-600mb. I was thinking about a desktop with 32gb of Ram, which is really the most important component for me and then I saw some servers like this one here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-R900-4...696652?pt=COMP_EN_Servers&hash=item566391f28c Can you use a server as a desktop computer, and when I say that I mean can I run windows and utilize all of those processors, 128gb of RAM, and 5 hard drives together at the same time and operate normal programs designed for windows? I have done some reading around on google and I have not really been able to find a specific answer to my question so any input is appreciated.

That is an older server, but yes, you can use server hardware for anything. You'd need a 64bit operating system and the program would need to be capable of using that much RAM (or you'd need to run multiple instances of it).

The T series Dell Poweredge are desktop case versions of the rackmount servers. I'd go with something newer than the one you linked. Yes, that is a lot of RAM, but that has older processors and would probably end up being slower than what you currently have.

How much RAM Win 7 64bit can address varies by version

AFAIK it goes like this, but it isn't gospel.
Starter: 8GB
Home Basic: 8GB
Home Premium: 16GB
Professional: 192GB
Enterprise: 192GB
Ultimate: 192GB

not sure about Win 8

Back