• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can someone explain this "wall"?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

Holy crap, I thought it was an exaggeration. I can hit 4.2 with 1.45v, 4.1 is 1.325v. 4.25 has been impossible, but is honestly a limitation of my mother board. I can't believe the strix motherboard doesn't have LLC; I am quite irritated at that! That said, I've seen claims online for all chipsets "Oh the FX can only go to 4.7 on air" (8320 @ 5.1ghz) Or "oh the 4790k maxes out at 4.5ghz" (mine hit 4.8ghz, had weird temps across cores though)

I dont really understand this wall; why does it ramp up SO hard? Temps not a problem under water. Im PROBABLY going to drop back down to 4.0 just to not waste power. At any rate, fairly pleased with performance; just confused.

Ryzen, yeah? The specific CPU isnt mentioned and Strix name has mobos on all platforms. Intel in sig.

Are you seeing a lot of vdroop on the strix? What are you setting vcore at in the bios? What is it idle in windows? Load?

Sfrix is a gaming board, but has LLC (intel).

Last edited:
If that is a Ryzen it's not the board it's the CPU even at -180° with 2.0V they top out at 5.2. I can't say about the Strix in question but most ASUS BIOS have a DIGI+ section LLC will be in there

Hey, yeah Ryzen 1600x with the ROG Strix B350-f gaming board. No LLC that I can see, which is really bad. The Vdroop is sending me flashbacks to my FX days before I got my saberkitty. I have it set to 1.45v and it drops to ~1.33 ish volts under load. Makes me wonder how much stability I would gain with a better board. REALLY regretting the b350 purchase, but its fine for now.

i can not manually adjust Vcore with this board, I have to use offset voltage which is annoying as well. All in all, this is a GAMING board (yeah the name says it all, and I didn't really have time to do my homework on this one), and reminds me of that old fatal1ty 990fx board I had. Great for gaming, not so good for serious overclocking.

I have it offset to 1.45v, and idle Im at 1.438v; in chrome it spikes to 1.463v. Under benchmarking loads, Im down around 1.335v.

- - - Updated - - -

If that is a Ryzen it's not the board it's the CPU even at -180° with 2.0V they top out at 5.2. I can't say about the Strix in question but most ASUS BIOS have a DIGI+ section LLC will be in there

Ill quadruple check here...

- - - Updated - - -

AND THERE IT IS OMG

latest

OK! I sorted that particular issue. And I know WHY now. When you load the board to stock settings, the controls are EXTREMELY limited. You MUST set it to TPU ii to open up all the control features. TIME FOR TESTING! Thanks for the reminder, and Im glad I checked again.

edit: Already improved. Idle -> 1.45v. Browsing? 1.45v. Time to benchmark for a moment...

edit 2 : WELL, disregard this entire thread. Time to test some stuff out haha. Voltage droops to 1.425v now; which is a huge huge huge improvement. No overshoot either; thats pretty awesome.

4.2 ghz is already well over average out of ryzen, so you were doing good as is. Interested to see what kind of stable you are up there.

4.2 ghz is already well over average out of ryzen, so you were doing good as is. Interested to see what kind of stable you are up there.

Well, we all have different ideas of "Stability"; im not a "run p95 for 3 weeks" kinda guy. 2 hours in aida 64, 10 pass high IBT, and DX11/12 benchmarks/stresstests get me to what I call "stable". No crashes on any used application so far.

Well, we all have different ideas of "Stability"; im not a "run p95 for 3 weeks" kinda guy. 2 hours in aida 64, 10 pass high IBT, and DX11/12 benchmarks/stresstests get me to what I call "stable". No crashes on any used application so far.
of course there are different ideas of stable. :)

Congrats on the unicorn!
http://hwbot.org/hardware/processor/ryzen_5_1600x/

Would love to see some super pi 1m and wprime 32m and 1024, cinebench15 around those clocks. :)

Well now here's an oddball thing. Turning on LLC; I boot into windows just fine, but crashes immediately into stress testing. I can't say I understand that too well; gonna have to do some major tweaking here...

Too much voltage for the clock? Maybe whisper sweet nothings to it instead of saying shes hot. :p

Tripping protections?

Spi 32M at 5.0 is around 7m. IF Ryzen was more RAM friendly AND would allow XP install it would give Intel a good run at 5.0 if they only ran that fast out of the box

Too much voltage for the clock? Maybe whisper sweet nothings to it instead of saying shes hot. :p

Tripping protections?

Dont think so; shes under serious water; and the highest temps I've seen have been 57c.

1364 cinebench for now; gimme a few minutes here.

You need a goal Bob. Here's my run at 4123 MHz

image_id_1829977.jpeg

Just saw the last post.
That instant crash is low voltage the stress is pulling too hard and it just ain't there. These are finicky CPUs when not on auto. But yeah the black screen crash is very familiar to me

cinebench score.png

I'm wondering if Im over powering the 12v rail.... Dinked around with some voltages, nothing changes. Boots into windows JUST FINE with 4.2; no issues. Soon as I start drawing power -> PEW black screen.

Johan -> lol 4123! squeezing out every drop I see :D How did you 1439! Probably has to do with my ram speed tbh; im pretty low.

Drop it to 4.0 with the same voltage and I bet it will run. The work from there. 1439 was with BCLK but that might be limited by the board.Older BIOS the only way to make the RAM dance was by using BCLK

Drop it to 4.0 with the same voltage and I bet it will run. The work from there

4.1ghz at 1.375 is appearing to work fine. Gonna let aida64 go for a while here

couple minutes in; 55c and hovering around 1.319v. Seems alright.

edit: nope darn. made it 8 minutes!

*sigh I miss my 8320. 5.0 @ 1.41v allll day lol No muss, no fuss, just set it and forget it!™

Last edited:
Aida isn't enough for stability on those chips might just be my opinion but there's too much goin on inside that CPU My go to is P95 ver 29.3 on custom with 13000MB of ram. Then you can add Heaven in for an hour or so if you like. I have a post your clocks thread somewhere in this section but it got kind of stale.

Aida isn't enough for stability on those chips might just be my opinion but there's too much goin on inside that CPU My go to is P95 ver 29.3 on custom with 13000MB of ram. Then you can add Heaven in for an hour or so if you like. I have a post your clocks thread somewhere in this section but it got kind of stale.

I normally avoid p95 lately, as I don't every come close to utilizing that much power. Aida64 + cinebench + dx11/12 benchmarks (heaven + valley; time spy and firestrike) in some motley assortment usually gets me where Im confident in a 24/7 stability. I do understand where your'e coming from for sure.

I used to use aida.. the default settings then select fpu only for real stress... worked for me as well. Ive since moved to realbench as its a good 'tweener between the obnoxious p95 and light tests like default aida.

Anyhoo, enough about stress testing, lol!

winston.jpg

Everything is gravy now; Winston has decided to help me overclock :eek: lol Ill run more stability tests tomorrow; she seems ok for now.

Back