• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can Windows Server 2008 play games?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestrider

I'm pretty sure Windows Server 2008 comes with DirectX 10, and has all the basic functionality of Windows Vista, so could you theoretically play games with it.

What would be the gains/losses switching from Windows Vista Business 64-bit SP1 to Windows Server 2008 Enterprise 64-bit?

Will it play games? Absolutely it will. Just like Server 2003 you can enable all aspects that are needed to play games. I had a Server 2003 gaming box and it was amazing. I've heard the same about Server 2008. It's super quick as a Workstation. Anyway, here's the guide to make Server 2008 into a Workstation OS http://www.win2008workstation.com/wordpress/

Server 2008 = Vista SP1 - same kernal AND ALL! just services disabled, that is the only diff. (beside server having the extras you can add like domain controllers and such)

if you go into vista and disable the same services - you now have server 2008 base installation.

i am using server 2008 x64 at home on my main desktop / gaming rig, and have the 32bit version on a dell inspiron laptop with a p4 3Ghz northy and 1g of ram, runs smooth!

Server 2008 = Vista SP1 - same kernal AND ALL! just services disabled, that is the only diff. (beside server having the extras you can add like domain controllers and such)

if you go into vista and disable the same services - you now have server 2008 base installation.

i am using server 2008 x64 at home on my main desktop / gaming rig, and have the 32bit version on a dell inspiron laptop with a p4 3Ghz northy and 1g of ram, runs smooth!

I ran Server 2008 64 for a while, but had problems with Catalyst after upgrading the driver. Then, in Vista64, I got 200 points higher in 3dmark vantage, so I'm sticking with Vista for gaming. The difference may be because i have programs get more priority, not background services, who knows.

Server 2008 rocks as an OS. A bunch of guys at work run it. I still prefer XP Pro / Server 2003. When I feel like being different, I go for either a linux distro or OSX(86) which ran flawlessly on the Dell Vostro 1510 I had. Even the soft buttons worked.

2008 server

:)i think server 2008 can jst make a good gaming os since it makes use of the basic graphics since it does not have aero hence no strain on the processor

Thank you for a 4 year old thread bump on a server OS that is now 2 generations behind thanks to R2 and 2012. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back