• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Can't burn CDs anymore WIN7 pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FlailBoy

I was able to do it a week ago via media player. Burn tab and library are now greyed out. Tried a system restore, no dice. Both DVD RWs are functioning properly.

I've seen this problem reported and a few fixes including a registry edit. Anybody experience/fix this?

How is the drive being reported in Windows? If you put in a burnable disk, check the "Volumes" tab for the device in Device Manager.

Can you burn straight from Windows Explorer?

Nope. Just records the .cda files.

How is the drive being reported in Windows? If you put in a burnable disk, check the "Volumes" tab for the device in Device Manager.

They are Maxell CD-RW (again, working a week ago).

Reported as:

Disk: CD-ROM 0
Type: DVD
Partition: MBR
Capacity: 0MB
Unallocated Space: 0MB
Reserved Space: 0MB

It shows a capacity of 0 with a disk in?

In your original post you mention that both are working properly. How did you test this?

...In your original post you mention that both are working properly. How did you test this?

Both are identical ASUS DVD RW drives. Both drives will play music/movies, copy/paste files, etc. Device manager shows both working properly, although that doesn't mean much.

The only thing that changed is that I was up north for a week. Burned a couple of CDs with Media Player right before I left. When I came back, I couldn't.

Did you try the drives in another system to prove they still burn disks? I agree it would be rare that both fail at the same time, but you can't know they work until you prove they work.

Have you tried using burning programs outside of Windows, such as ISOBurn or the like? Have you tried removing the drive in Device Manager, powering down, then starting it back up?

Ok, I've been trying a few more things and found one that worked:
Went into Media Player, Music, Organize, Manage Libraries, Music. I deleted the 'My Music ' (default) folder, and then just added it back in.
Burning a disc as I'm typing this.

No idea why that worked (or what changed while I was AFK for a week), but thanks for the help, guys. :thup:

Glad you figured it out! Not exactly sure what the problem was, either.

Back