• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant overclock my comptuer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
if i buy some better cooling could i leave it as it is? or do i need to change the memory speed? im looking at getting these 2.

Patriot ram cooler -$40
coolmaster hyper tx2 - $38

would these be enough cooling or need more?

i ran prime 95 and cpu temp got upto 61 degrees so i stopped it. im going to go buy some better cooling :) cpu temp went down to normal pretty fast though

In my opinion the first phenoms sucked at oc...maybe you shuld get some PII goodness :D

I had a 9850 before and that thing did not wanna go over 2.6 I was like wtf cant oc over 100mhz that cpu was just crazy so I gots me a 940 and never looked back.

If you get the xigmatek i would recommend lapping that little guy I just did a dark knight and was let down by the flatness that it had from the factory:bang head

Really? I haven't heard of that with the direct touch heat pipe coolers before, not being flat I mean.

i just went and bought a coolmaster hyper tx2. idle temps 30 degrees now :) use to be around 46. going to do a stress test on it now with occt.

Last edited:
just did a 25 minute test and max temp was 43 degrees. I mite try making it 230 x 11. just a question. If the cpu stays under say 55 degrees while under load can you overclock it as high as you want or will if fail in another way. i could even take the side cover off the pc to let heat out? should i do that or not? its in a clean area.

I have changed my settings to 222x11 in bios settings. im happy with 2.45ghz

heres a screenshot

OCCT tested for 30 mins, temp sits at 46-47 degrees and doesnt get any higher.

Let me know if anythings wrong :)

Attachments

• Untidsadsatled-2.jpg
    Untidsadsatled-2.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 77
Well, it looks like you beat the average overclock for that chip already so you have done well. Was OCCT stable or did it abort after 30 minutes? You're probably at the end of your rope with the memory speed increase anyway without relaxing your timings.

everything was stable. i tried to change the timings but it wouldnt boot. i made it 1400mhz x 6 or something. not sure exactly what i did. i dont know how to work that bit out.

everything was stable. i tried to change the timings but it wouldnt boot. i made it 1400mhz x 6 or something. not sure exactly what i did. i dont know how to work that bit out.

NO, no! Relaxing timings for your ram is different than changing the bus frequency. The memory timings have to do with Cas latency and such. They are numbers like 5-5-5-15-2T. Look in CPU-z under SPD tab and at the bottom you will see the mfg. recommended timings for your ram at various standard bus speeds. To relax the timings means to increase those numbers. Each of those parameters can be thought of as a gates that regulate the flow of data in the memory. When you increase the speed of the memory bus as you have been doing in order to overclock the cpu it becomes necessary after a certain point to relax the memory timings (the gates) so that the data has a chance to gather all of itself before moving on to the next gate in the ram module. If the flow of data is interrupted the computer will lock up or crash. So put your bus speed and clock multiplier back to 221x11 or whatever is was and adjust the memory timings to higher numbers (higher numbers means more relaxed timing).

oh ok. i cant change the timings in the bios. the only ram settings i have are voltage and making it like 133mhz upto 1066 mhz. its set at 800mhz now i think. and i have kingston ddr2 1066mhz ram. do i need to change it or should i leave it?

Well, if you do not have the ability to adjust ram timings in bios you can't work with that dimension of overclocking. Another strategy would be to run the ram in DDR2 533 (DDR 266) mode instead of DDR2 800 (DDR 400) mode as you are currently doing, that is if you have that option in bios. The slower ram speed will allow you more head room to raise the fsb speed in order to get a higher overclock of the cpu. Of course, this would have an adverse affect on performance when doing computing tasks that rely heavily on memory bandwidth. With tasks that don't use a lot of memory bandwidth it would not have much negative effect. I also think you will need to back off on t he HT/NB multiplier if you push your overclock any higher and get those back closer to the stock 1800mhz again, if you can do that in bios.

Last edited:
how do i bring it back to stock 1800mhz? i saw on alot of posts people say to keep it around 1000-1200 when i search about it in google. and on some overclocking championship video on youtube theres was at 1000mhz. i use this comptuer for playing games im not sure what i really need though im still new to it. What do you think i should do with the ht/nb? get it around 1000 or 1800?

The point is to try to keep the HT/NB close to stock frequencies while you are overclocking. In your case, that is 1800mhz. Different generations of processors (AM2, AM2+, AM3) will have different HT/NB frequencies according to the capability of the integrated memory controller (ICM). Some had stock speeds of 1000, some 1800, some 2400, some 3000. That is part of the reason you were seeing different numbers in your research. The other reason is that some overclockers will "underclock" the HT/NB component just to be on the safe side of stability as they are manipulating other overclocking components. If the HT/NB frequencies begin to exceed the stock speed by much it will create instability and undermine your overclocking efforts. In motherboards with detailed bioses (unlike yours) you can actually separate the HT and NB speeds. Lowering the HT frequency has little impact on performance but lowering the NB frequency has more. As you might realize by now there are some trade offs in overclocking.

hmm. ill take a photo of my bios and post it up for ya. i have some ht and nb settings not sure if there the ones though.

Back