• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cd-rom autoplay problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HitmanOO7

Registered
ok, whenever i insert a CD/DVD into my drive, an explorer window with the contents of D:\ opens. there are no autoplay options for games, cds, dvds, etc. always an explorer window.

i've downloaded tweakui to try to enable autoplay. however, autoplay was already enabled when i checked it. i've googled this without luck, so this is my last resort. thanks.

Assuming you're running XP...Start | Run | Type services.msc, and click OK | Scroll down to "Shell Hardware Detection", right-click and select "Properties" | In the "Startup type" field, make sure "Automatic" is selected | If the service is stopped (shown under "Service status"), click the "Start" button to start the service.

Depending upon how old your CD/DVD player is, it maybe a firmware issue. Check the manufactures website to see if they offer a firmware update. Just be sure to follow their directions precisely on how to update the firmware as it's basically the same as updating the BIOS for your mobo. A bad update attempt can make the player unusable.

Does it work when sometimes, and then just stop all of a sudden?

If Redduck900's plan doesn't work, this always helps me (until windows decides to just stop autoplay like it does every once in a while). It will probably only work in XP or 2000:

CTRL>ALT>DEL
End the explorer.exe process
Click File> New Task (Run...)> Type in explorer
Click OK

This will shut down and restart explorer without having to logoff/restart. It should also re-enable autoplay.

Back