• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

chawken or tc please read..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toomnymods

Well I finally submitted to buying 2 1.2 "mp" palaminos yesterday from newegg.com :D :p :D (got tired of waiting on the "desktop palaminos that will never come, lol).. these are going to go into the 2 new crunchers I'm assembling.. Both will have the epox 8k7a. What I'm wondering is my t-birds will not for the life of them run stable over 155 fsb on my epox mobos using crucial pc2100 timings are 16-8-8-3-2-2-2 ( some people are hitting 160-180 fsb :eek: ) I'd be happy to just hit 167 @ cas 2 where the /5 pci divider kicks in.. Just wondering excactly how you have your bios setup as far as memory timings and anyother thing that might affect cpu/ memory fsb speeds.. Also what is the average o/c for the new 1.2 palamino mp's?? Some say arounds 1.4, but with this mobo shouldnt it be easy as hell to hit about 1.55?? Just wonderin'

Crunch On!!!!

Also someone in a forum yesterday said "Ibm harddrives suck for high fsb speeds??? :confused: These are the only drives I currently use:
3 Ibm Deskstar gxp 60 60gb (2 in raid 0)
2 Ibm Deskstar gxp 75 30gb Raid 0
1 Ibm Deskstar Gxp 60 20gb

so far the raided gxp 75 has achieved the highest stable fsb o/c @ 155 the others are at 152, and 149

something here Is definatly fishy... God how i'd love to hit 1.8 on aircooled with my 1.4 :D :p

Back to dreamin' I guess,lol :p
Crunch on!!

toomnymods said:
Well I finally submitted to buying 2 1.2 "mp" palaminos yesterday from newegg.com :D :p :D (got tired of waiting on the "desktop palaminos that will never come, lol).. these are going to go into the 2 new crunchers I'm assembling.. Both will have the epox 8k7a. What I'm wondering is my t-birds will not for the life of them run stable over 155 fsb on my epox mobos using crucial pc2100 timings are 16-8-8-3-2-2-2 ( some people are hitting 160-180 fsb :eek: ) I'd be happy to just hit 167 @ cas 2 where the /5 pci divider kicks in.. Just wondering excactly how you have your bios setup as far as memory timings and anyother thing that might affect cpu/ memory fsb speeds.. Also what is the average o/c for the new 1.2 palamino mp's?? Some say arounds 1.4, but with this mobo shouldnt it be easy as hell to hit about 1.55?? Just wonderin'

Crunch On!!!!

Right now, with Corsair PC2400, I have my timings at 8/8/8/2/2/2.5/2. I am running at 162x9 +.3 on the Vcore voltage and +.3v on the memory voltage.
It has been running solid as a rock for at least a week now, 24/7 running Seti.
Probably tomorrow I'm going to up it to 164fsb. That seems to be approaching the limit of the MP chip. TC also said that 1.500 was just about the top limit.
I will be curious as to how much you get out of yours.

toomnymods said:
Also someone in a forum yesterday said "Ibm harddrives suck for high fsb speeds??? :confused: These are the only drives I currently use:
3 Ibm Deskstar gxp 60 60gb (2 in raid 0)
2 Ibm Deskstar gxp 75 30gb Raid 0
1 Ibm Deskstar Gxp 60 20gb

so far the raided gxp 75 has achieved the highest stable fsb o/c @ 155 the others are at 152, and 149

something here Is definatly fishy... God how i'd love to hit 1.8 on aircooled with my 1.4 :D :p

Back to dreamin' I guess,lol :p
Crunch on!!

I have an IBM 40gb DTLA drive in it now, don't need a raid setup for just Seti so only running 1 drive - and it hasn't had a problem yet. I only use IBM DTLA series drives in all my machines. Great drive.

I'm running corsair PC2400 at 8882222 at 175 FSB max voltage on the ram. The best I could get out of my 1.2 gig MP was 1440 with a thermalright sk6 and delta 38 fan. I put a water block on it just for testing purposes and it wouldn't go any higher and extra voltage didn't help. Turned out that 1440 wasn't stable, so I backed off to 1400 and it's happy there. Can't think of anything else in the cmos that would help you get higher speeds. I suspect it's your ram - I can't get regular crucial sticks to do any better than yours, but the corsair dimms use crucial (micron) chips that are hand picked. The new mushkin dimms with heat spreaders look good, but I haven't tried any. I've got maxtor diamond max 60 drives in all of my epox systems. I did own a pair of ibm 75 gxp's but they're having major reliability problems from what I've been reading, and one of mine crashed a month after I bought it - took out my raid array. They were in my P4 box that was running a FSB of 118, so they were slightly overclocked. If you get better ram you ought to be able to run just over 166 where that 1/5 divisor kicks in. That would take the stress off everything but the ram and chipset. Oh one last thing, have you put artic silver on the northbridge? I pulled all of my chipset coolers and they each had a tiny dab of plain old grease. I cleaned each one and applied a nice thin coat of artic silver. That might help a little. Assume you have decent cooling for your case - I use no less than 3 120mm fans on mine. That's about all I can think of.

TC said:
I'm running corsair PC2400 at 8882222 at 175 FSB max voltage on the ram. The best I could get out of my 1.2 gig MP was 1440 with a thermalright sk6 and delta 38 fan. I put a water block on it just for testing purposes and it wouldn't go any higher and extra voltage didn't help. Turned out that 1440 wasn't stable, so I backed off to 1400 and it's happy there. Can't think of anything else in the cmos that would help you get higher speeds. I suspect it's your ram - I can't get regular crucial sticks to do any better than yours, but the corsair dimms use crucial (micron) chips that are hand picked. The new mushkin dimms with heat spreaders look good, but I haven't tried any. I've got maxtor diamond max 60 drives in all of my epox systems. I did own a pair of ibm 75 gxp's but they're having major reliability problems from what I've been reading, and one of mine crashed a month after I bought it - took out my raid array. They were in my P4 box that was running a FSB of 118, so they were slightly overclocked. If you get better ram you ought to be able to run just over 166 where that 1/5 divisor kicks in. That would take the stress off everything but the ram and chipset. Oh one last thing, have you put artic silver on the northbridge? I pulled all of my chipset coolers and they each had a tiny dab of plain old grease. I cleaned each one and applied a nice thin coat of artic silver. That might help a little. Assume you have decent cooling for your case - I use no less than 3 120mm fans on mine. That's about all I can think of.

That's kind of weird about the IBM drive prob that you had. Every machine that I have, are using IBM 75GXP (DTLA) drives, and never had a problem with any of them. That is the only drive that we use where I work - and out of about 100 drives purchased in the last 6 months, only had 1 go bad - and that was within 72 hours of installing it.
On the Epox I am cooling it with the GlobalWin CAK38, AS2 on CPU and chipset, 2 case fans 1 80mm delta 60cfm intake, and 1 80mm Sunon 39.5 output.
With this setup I originally could not get above 158fsb with timings at 8882222, but when I changed it to 8/8/8/2/2/2.5/2 it went to 162fsb and has been very stable. Tomorrow morning I'm going to up it to 166fsb and see how it runs.

As soon as I posted the previous post, I went and adjusted the fsb up to 166x9. Posted and loaded Windows just fine, so I'll watch it and see how it does.

Chawken, K7-Master ??

OK so I only have 2 :eek:

Chawken, about you K7-Master.

What are your BIOS setting, mem,etc ?

My mem is @ 8-8-7-2-2-2-2.

150x10 is tops, won't go 150x10.5

I have had it @ 1.540 but a lower FSB, thats a no no.

thanks.

Dave.

Well Thanks for the help guys.. I kinda figured it was either the ram or the harddrive, now seeing that both of you are using the Corsair pc2400 I might go buy a stick and see how it does.. Now I've got 6 worthless sticks of crucial pc2100,lol :( Ohh well that's life.. I know for sure If I could get my fsb over 166 thad'd help my memory scores tremendously... Right now on the average I'm processing wu's in the 4hr 5 min range but If I could get better memory scores I'd proabbly shave atleast 10 mins off my wu times..right now my memory scrores are 692/901 Kinda fair, but still way less than what I've seen.. Can't wait till my 1.2 mp's get here :p .. Also did you guys load on the bios update immediatly before or after adding the new processors???
Thanks guys

It would help you some for sure. My mem score at 175 is 975/1038. You don't have to use the bios update just for the MP. It adds support for SSE, but I'm not sure Seti uses those optimizations. I've had two flash attempts fail on the same board, requiring a new chip from Epox (which they mailed to me for free twice) so I'm not fooling with it anymore. Seems like that board is jinxed. It just quits half way through the flash, but my other Epox boards have been flashed without trouble.

TC...

How about the old "hot swap" on the BIOS... should work fine for you in that situation.. (you did say that it was just the one board, yes?)

Yeah just one board, and I did swap bios chips from a board with slower cpu installed so the MP would be crunching while I wait on a new chip. When I get the new chip I may try flashing it in a board that has handled a flash okay before. Never have had a board that wouldn't flash bios chips - wonder where the problem is? Awdflash hangs after it has rewritten half the chip - done this on two bios chips.

So basically flashing to the newest bios for the mp's is useless?? I sure in the hell cant afford a rig being down for a week,lol I dont wanna go back to triple digit land :p (rank 100+) lol Worked so hard just to get to 96... how many wu's a day is ur mp rig pumping out? anymore than 6-7 a day?? If it does 7 I'm gonna be happy as hell, That'd be an extra 14 wu's a day for me :D :p :D
Crunch On!!!

toomnymods said:
So basically flashing to the newest bios for the mp's is useless?? I sure in the hell cant afford a rig being down for a week,lol I dont wanna go back to triple digit land :p (rank 100+) lol Worked so hard just to get to 96... how many wu's a day is ur mp rig pumping out? anymore than 6-7 a day?? If it does 7 I'm gonna be happy as hell, That'd be an extra 14 wu's a day for me :D :p :D
Crunch On!!!

The first day that I set mine up, I flashed to the 1711 bios version, without any probs.
By the way - it has been crunching along soundly since setting it to 166fsb. Later today I will up it to 168 and see how it does.

Damn you are making me jealous.. Definatly gonna try corsair pc2400 next payday.. Just hours away from getting my 2 1.2 MP Palaminos god I can't wait :D :p :D Might buy a couple more and build a few dually board if they turn out awesome.. Right now I've got my eyes on Abit dually mobo that is supposed to come out some time the end of the summer which should be 3-4 week at the most, but seeing how long they delayed the KG-7 & KG-7 Raid I'm thinking it won't be out till much later.. :confused: Ohh yesterday when my Sgt. Major walked into the barracks to inspect everyones room he came into mine and was like "Holy $hi@ Cpl. Jensen Why do you need 4 computers in your room" ( only 3 are actually running right now though) he then said "You planning on taking over the world!?!" I just started laughing.. then I said "I build them for people and sell them.." Hopefully he bought it.. :p

Crunch On!!

toomnymods said:
Damn you are making me jealous.. Definatly gonna try corsair pc2400 next payday.. Just hours away from getting my 2 1.2 MP Palaminos god I can't wait :D :p :D Might buy a couple more and build a few dually board if they turn out awesome.. Right now I've got my eyes on Abit dually mobo that is supposed to come out some time the end of the summer which should be 3-4 week at the most, but seeing how long they delayed the KG-7 & KG-7 Raid I'm thinking it won't be out till much later.. :confused: Ohh yesterday when my Sgt. Major walked into the barracks to inspect everyones room he came into mine and was like "Holy $hi@ Cpl. Jensen Why do you need 4 computers in your room" ( only 3 are actually running right now though) he then said "You planning on taking over the world!?!" I just started laughing.. then I said "I build them for people and sell them.." Hopefully he bought it.. :p

Crunch On!!

Yeah - I am so impressed with this setup I am planning to replace my 2 MSI's with Epox and 1.2MP's. I hate the MSI setups, can't o/c worth a damn. I will definately get the ABIT KG7-Raid to replace the Iwill rig, and add an ECS with the SiS chipset just to run it against the AMD761 chipset.

O.K. Toomny - just cranked her up to 169x9 and it just started a .427 WU. It ran just fine, for the last 12hrs at 166x9. WU times from 162 to 166 went down about 8 minutes on a .044 AR. Wierd thing - the last 5 WU's for this machine have been .044 .044 .045 .039 .027. It's killing my processing times.

You still @ cas 2?!? holy cow!! Starting to think now Crucial ram is junk :( :mad: :( Ohh well Just more stuff to buy, lol Keep me posted as I'm defiantly intrested in how far you can get that mp and your ram to go before it screams for mercy,lol

Crunch On!!!

toomnymods said:
You still @ cas 2?!? holy cow!! Starting to think now Crucial ram is junk :( :mad: :( Ohh well Just more stuff to buy, lol Keep me posted as I'm defiantly intrested in how far you can get that mp and your ram to go before it screams for mercy,lol

Crunch On!!!

No. My settings are 8/8/8/2/2/2.5/2. It locks up at 8882222. If I set cas latency to 2.5 it runs fine.
If I get it running solidly until tomorrow morning - I'll try 171fsb.

Tweak it until it breaks - then tweak it some more.

Can you do a small favor for me run Sisoft sandra TE and let me know what your benchmarks are for your cpu and the ram... Kinda curios what your hitting with those ram timings..
Thanks...

Back