• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Cheapest yet great 2D quality" card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Chowdy said:
How much of a difference can you notice? I can't picture my 2d work being any clearer. Are there any side-by-side comparisions or something anywhere?

It would be very hard to do.
Its like trying to show colour on a black and white TV.

Yes,it is hard to explain.
My sister has an IBM Aptiva with a Rage 2mb onboard video and it looks fantastic in 2d.
I never got that quality with any of my video cards.

You know, I'm pretty damn proud of my old Voodoo 3's for 2D image quality. They are the crispest of the cards I have. Ranking is something like this...
Voodoo 3 2000 PCI = Voodoo 3 3000 AGP
MSI GF3ti200 = Matrox Mystere 220 (think that's what it is)
ATI Rage XL
ATI Rage IIC
Trident TGUI 9680
MSI GF2MX400
Various Cirrus logic PCI cards,
i810 onboard, lowest of the low.

Anyhoo, I wouldn't recommend them for 1600x1400 though because they can't refresh all that fast, but at that they are still crisp and clear. GF3 is just getting a tad muddy on fine details at 1600x1400 as is the old Matrox. but is great and stable on lower res. My GF2MX400 is acceptable, but you kinda need to "tune" it. Looks fine at some refresh rates, muddy on others. Anyhoo, the more modern ATi's I've seen have been equal to the Voodoos I've got. I think ATi original is the crispest, powercolors and saphires can be a hair worse. Modern matroxes I have not had much to do with, but I think you're probably not gonna notice much diff until you go beyond 1600x1400 with them. I would have said an original 9000, 9100, 9200 or 8500 would be fine, but there's been some FireGL cards around for cheap, and those would be very optimised for IQ probably have better filters than the gaming cards.

regards,

Road Warrior

Back