• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choosing between 2 types of Ram - Help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

insanityattacks

TLDR:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2x8GB) 1866MHz - $121
OR
Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2x8GB) 1600MHz - $110

edit: note could not find the exact models to link to so there's the best I could find
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So i'm making a new (first) build and I was looking at 2 above to fill the slots.

At first glance the Ripjaws seems more appealing with its higher clock speed -
but i've been told that the jump from 1600mhz to 1866 is barely noticeable so maybe its not worth the $11 difference.
Second the Vengeance Pro appears to be much newer (based on review dates) so I wasn't sure if there would be a difference in quality at all.
Finally i'll only have 44mm of clearance so if anyone can direct me to dimensions that would be great!

Thanks for your time!

Additional information:
MB- MSI Z87 GD65
GPU- Gigabyte GTX 770
CPU- i7 4770k

Last edited:
Both are good memory sets.

I'm sure you can find better deals for the capacity/speed. The last 2 16gb set i buyed in the last months was ~80$ and ~100$ for 1600mhz set.

Either or really. You wont get 10% performance increase out of the faster set, so I say get the Vengy Pro.

As far as dimensions, I think newegg has them, as well as the Corsair website. :)

Alright great thanks for your help... All my pieces are coming int tomorrow so I think i'm going to go for the G.Skill because there's free rush on that and i'm an impatient man.

Also RAM prices seem to have gone up radically in the past few months - these are the cheapest choices (that have heat spreaders)... not sure if that's just a trend in Canada though

yes, Ram price have gone up quite a bit this year. The last 2 set i buyed was in the last month, not last year.

Back