• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choosing memory for Ryzen 1700 / Asus Prime X370

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Droidene

Registered
Choosing memory for Ryzen 1700 / Asus Prime X370-PRO is confusing me a lot, seems like there a lot of childhood illnesses around Ryzen builds when it come to memory speed.

Let me clarify a couple thing:
Asus Prime X370-PRO memory support list

Now, there section like: Ram speed and Supported Speed with Ryzen CPU

A example:
G.Skill - Ram speed: 3200MHz - Supported Speed with Ryzen CPU: 3200
G.Skill - Ram speed: 3200MHz - Supported Speed with Ryzen CPU: 2133

Now what does this means? That the memory has capacity to run at 3200 speed, but using this with Ryzen you can only get 2133 speed...is that what list trying to tell me?

Now there are couple thing wich confuse me:

G-Skill Ram configuration

Now, in that configuration, not all are listed there.. not even higher than 2400MHz, even the motherboard support list says a lot of stuff does support.
Does this means G-Skill havent updated the configuration?

Anyho, all these stuff confuse me when it come to choosing a memory that will go good with 1700.
The range im looking for is around 3000 - 3200 MHz speed.

Looks like i gotta wait couple month to get ride of all those Childhood illnesses that floating around.

First off XMP is an Intel memory speed / timings extension. These are used for RAM modules that are rated beyond the standard JEDEC speeds. Most motherboards will default to using the fastest JEDEC speed that the platform supports. To utilize the XMP profile, the user has to specify in the BIOS / UEFI for the motherboard to use it. Sometimes there are more than 1 XMP profiles.

DOCP is an ASUS BIOS feature on AMD platforms that translate the XMP (which is Intel) settings to a compatible AMD (AMP) form. So that you can use the faster XMP profiles on AMD motherboards. The obvious reason that DOCP exists as with everything related to these two companies, the Intel standard is more popular and thus more readily available.
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3167421/xmp-docp-eocp.html

So 2133 is JEDEC and 3200 is DOCP overclocking memory IMC.

So 2133 is JEDEC and 3200 is DOCP overclocking memory IMC.

In the list and exacly that one no DOCP mention, that ram speed (Standar JEDEC) is mention as 3200MHz while Supported for Ryzen is 2133MHz (section where DOCP usual is mention), so whats up with that line?
Confused.

But okey, finding this memory is here:
G.Skill Trident 4000C
Click on QVL (Qualify Vendor List), no Asus Prime X370-PRO mention... just Z170 chipset and tested as 4000MHz speed. (I supose JEDEC is 2133 "SPD")

Even Asus page show this memory in the list o_O ... and difference speed.
I'm like .. what? You cant do that.. confuse ppl.

Last edited:
Hmm, iv also looked at MSI products.

A example: MSI B350 Tomahawk, pair it with a G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3200 16GB - 14-14-14-34-2N

Crucial Elite 2x8GB 3466 or Trident Z 2x8GB 3200 CL14 ( I have black/white kit but any other should have the same IC ) run without issues at 3200 on ASUS/Gigabyte/Biostar. At too high frequency you may see stability issues. Again, it's not only about used IC but also about memory profiles and timings table.

Back