• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

christmas lights for case lighting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

poppedkernel

Back when my parents used to string every tree in my yard (about 6) from top to bottom with christmas lights and create a electric bill that paid off the tuition of every child of an electric company worker, we had a massive amounts of lights. Now, because my parents have grown uninterested and just said "screw it" we have half of our 2 car garage filled up with un-used lights, all of which are 12v. and i was wondering if there was any way to hook these up to my psu, and power them.

As long as you are positive that they're 12v, all you have to do is find yourself a male molex connector. Use only the yellow/black connection and hook them up to the cables from the christmas lights, then into your PSU. In other words, strip back the wires a bit to enable a connection. Please be very careful with this, as I've personally never run into christmas lights that were 12v, so do this at your own risk.

il look on the boxes and for extra safety use an old 250w psu out of one of my old dells. if the psu lives, then i got accent lighting.... if it dies... well at east I diddn't fry anything important. :thup:

Keep in mind that those little Christmas lights generate some heat. Not much, but a lot more than CCFLs or LEDs.

yeah, I decided not to try it, I have better uses for my old PSUs than to destroy them like that lol

Back