• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clean-up software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigtyme07

Hey guys I currently am using Iobit advanced system care and Iobit malware fighter to keep my system "clean" I wasn't sure if you guys think this software is very good at keeping your system clean and clutter free or if it just slows down your computer.

I use none. Often, they are more trouble than they are worth. Many threads on this subject in fact at this site. ;)

I use none. Often, they are more trouble than they are worth. Many threads on this subject in fact at this site. ;)

This.

Be selective of what programs you install, and where you install them. Routinely go through your 'Add/Remove Programs' list and remove things that you haven't used and don't anticipate using. I have a habit of formatting at least twice a year just for my own peace of mind.

This.

Be selective of what programs you install, and where you install them. Routinely go through your 'Add/Remove Programs' list and remove things that you haven't used and don't anticipate using. I have a habit of formatting at least twice a year just for my own peace of mind.

By formatting you mean wiping your hard drive and doing a clean OS install right?

I've used CCleaner for 8 years on systems that from very old to fairly new both at work and at home. Never had any issues. Recommended it to coworkers, families and friends. Again, never any issues.

I've used CCleaner for 8 years on systems that from very old to fairly new both at work and at home. Never had any issues. Recommended it to coworkers, families and friends. Again, never any issues.

Agreed.
No problems ever with Ccleaner.

Silver_Pharaoh

Right click on CCleaner program shortcut > Properties > add /AUTO Next to Target:
So that it says something like...ccleaner.exe" /AUTO

Now with a single click you can clear out your trash and clean your browser history & things of this nature ↓, that's what it's good for - not any "registry" cleaning which has no measurable performance change cleaned or not.

Attachments

• CCleaner.png
    CCleaner.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 113
Great point...especially the last part. ;)

That said, I suppose I maintain throughout preventing buildup in those areas thus mitigating the need for another layer of software for no reason (for me).

Partition SSD drive. Install OS on relatively small partition. Do not keep any personal files on OS partition the Drive Image the OS partition to another larger drive. This allows you to nuke the OS partition once a month, install Patch Tuesday updates and make any changes to original install, then Drive Image again.

If Windows Update, driver update, virus, bad programming mess up your Windows, you simply reimage your OS partition in less time than it takes for you to go on a short bathroom break. Because of doing that, I've had a feeling of a brand new install at least once a month for more than ten years now.

My favorite time-saver is when something difficult to detect causes my system to hick up. I look at the txt file of monthly changes I made to my master image and deduce the culprit quickly because I keep a few drive image files for later, in case something like that happens - then I can reimage back to the state te system was before that change was made and simply look at the txt file to implement the other changes I made without installing whatever caused the problem.

This was true more than ten years ago and it is true today: Nothing makes my PC go faster then when I restore from a backup made just after I first installed the OS the way I want it to be...

First person other than my very close family and friends that really pays attention to the "details". Yessir ^+1^.
RGone...

Partition SSD drive. Install OS on relatively small partition. Do not keep any personal files on OS partition the Drive Image the OS partition to another larger drive. This allows you to nuke the OS partition once a month, install Patch Tuesday updates and make any changes to original install, then Drive Image again.

If Windows Update, driver update, virus, bad programming mess up your Windows, you simply reimage your OS partition in less time than it takes for you to go on a short bathroom break. Because of doing that, I've had a feeling of a brand new install at least once a month for more than ten years now.

My favorite time-saver is when something difficult to detect causes my system to hick up. I look at the txt file of monthly changes I made to my master image and deduce the culprit quickly because I keep a few drive image files for later, in case something like that happens - then I can reimage back to the state te system was before that change was made and simply look at the txt file to implement the other changes I made without installing whatever caused the problem.

This was true more than ten years ago and it is true today: Nothing makes my PC go faster then when I restore from a backup made just after I first installed the OS the way I want it to be...

I outta do this, but I need a large HDD for imaging.... Would a cheap 1 Tb drive doo or should it be some fast SSD?

Silver_Pharaoh

My Windows partition on SSD is 35 GB.
If you install Windows 7 or 8 on one and Windows XP on another, then buy this
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-windows.htm
then image one OS from the other onto another physical drive.

then my Windows 8 image stored takes up less than 14 GB, my Windows XP image takes up less than 8 GB.

I use E:\Program Files directory to install large applications into, not C:\Program Files - this makes imaging/reimaging of the main OS partition faster.

My Windows partition on SSD is 35 GB.
If you install Windows 7 or 8 on one and Windows XP on another, then buy this
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-windows.htm
then image one OS from the other onto another physical drive.

then my Windows 8 image stored takes up less than 14 GB, my Windows XP image takes up less than 8 GB.

I use E:\Program Files directory to install large applications into, not C:\Program Files - this makes imaging/reimaging of the main OS partition faster.

I have a simular set-up but the whole SSD is for my OS I install games/music/pictures/downloads/ripped dvd or video I need to convert to my 500GB drive but normal programs go to the SSD. The set up works and everything loads perfectly fine.

Back