• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cleaning cpu surface

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Removal Instructions (From Hardware)
1. Arctic Silver thermal compound can easily be removed from hardware using the proper cleaners and tools. For general clean-up, a cloth or paper towel will work well. Intricate cleaning can be accomplished with Q-tip swabs. An old toothbrush can often get the compound out of crevices that other tools cannot reach.
The recommended cleaners are:

CPU Core:
Use high-purity isopropyl alcohol or acetone and a bit of careful rubbing.
Do not use nail polish remover as it contains fragrance oils and other contaminants.
(If you use acetone, do a final cleaning with isopropyl alcohol.)

Heatsink:
Use xylene based products (Goof Off, some carburetor cleaners and many brake cleaners.), mineral spiritsm or high-purity isopropyl alcohol.

Remember:
Once you have applied a thermal grease or melted a thermal pad onto a heatsink, it is impossible to remove all of the grease or pad from the microscopic valleys in the heatsink using standard cleaning chemicals and paper or fabric towels. Any subsequent thermal material will be applied over the remnants of the original material.

Never use any oil or petroleum based cleaners (WD-40, citrus oil based grease removers and many automotive degreasers) on the base of a heatsink. The oil, which is engineered to not evaporate, will fill in the microscopic valleys in the metal and significantly reduce the effectiveness of any subsequently applied thermal compound.

CPU Ceramic:
Use any of the following cleaners.

Any dish detergent. (Dawn, Lux, Palmolive, Etc.)
Do not use soap for an automatic dishwasher to clean a CPU.

WD-40, citrus based cleaners.

Xylene based products. (Goof Off, some carburetor cleaners and many brake cleaners.)

Mineral spirits. (Be careful to keep the mineral spirits away from the core.)

Once the majority of the compound has been removed from the ceramic, small patches remaining on the ceramic can be 'erased' with a soft eraser.

2. If you use any of the suggested products to remove Arctic Silver thermal compound from the CPU ceramic or heatsink base, always do a final cleaning with isopropyl alcohol to remove any residue from the cleaner.

Last edited:
I believe contact cleaner is not a good idea, I think it's designed to leave a residue. Contact cleaner is for cleaning electrical contacts, not cpu surfaces.

I think nail polish remover contains some oils, if not other things. It's not 100% acetone.

one time i didn't have any alcohol so i used cool mint listerine. it took a little longer but it worked.

benbaked said:
one time i didn't have any alcohol so i used cool mint listerine. it took a little longer but it worked.

high concentration of alchohol but it has sugars in it, so may work but i wouldent recommend it again.

I use methylated spirits for pretty much anything (the clear stuff - ethanol with a dash of methanol, not the dyed stuff which leaves a very slight residue). If that doesn't work (eg: with bubblegum thermal pads) I tend to hit it with 100% xylene. This will rip through pretty much anything vaugely organic including gloves and isn't something you really want to get on your skin too much (or breathe, so do this in a well ventilated area). I keep this well clear of cpu substrates and PCBs as it can easily damage these as well. But in terms of getting rid of stuff, it's incredible.

I just spit on it!
Hrrrrggggggrgrgrggg! SPIT!
It works!
Then cleanit whit a kleenex.
Good luck.

I use PPG DX-330, it is a wax and grease remover used for surface prep in autobody repair shops. (I used to do auto body many years ago) This leaves no residue and cuts through the paste without damaging the circuit board.

edit for spelling.

Last edited:
Wow that sounds innovative. I've just always used Alcohol. I might try some of these others(I'll clean up with iso afterwards anyways though)! I think ill pass on the mouthwash and spit though.

I prefer to use my pressure-washer filled alcohol... it's a creative way of cleaning a CPU, and mabe not a smart/sane way... But it works well :p

And for the love of god, don't use AS-5, try AS-7; OoooRrrrrrr.....
http://svcompucycle.stores.yahoo.net/coolab.html
It's mostly liquid gallium... it's the best thermal compound I know of; with a risk factor.
Conductive liquids on circitury = VERY BAD :D

fel said:
I just spit on it!
Hrrrrggggggrgrgrggg! SPIT!
It works!
Then cleanit whit a kleenex.
Good luck.
Or that if you don't give a crap about your processor. :p

Shell, does that stuff stay put when you apply it or does it roll around?

Looks very interesting, I may have to try it.

Back