• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

clearing cmos??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PHILIP1193

ok i am about to o/c my p4 if i mess it up and it wont post and need to clear the cmos, will my setting just go back to default ones and repost? or will it totally mess up my whole set up? :( :rolleyes:

Phil

we have the same setup except the Ram is different. i have 1GB of Corsair Twinx 1024 3200. good luck! i hope you can hit higher than i can.

If you use the jumper to clear the cmos because it wont post, everthing goes back to default settings. All your ram timings, fsb, the works will go back. Also SATA settings like if you have it set up for raid or the boot order will default. If you have the onboard sound disabled it will come back on also. Thats been my experience with my Abits. You can use the flash menu to back up a stable settup then after you reset the bios boot into windows and reload that setup, then you dont have to do everything each time. Works for me.

just dont overdoit and you wont have to clear the CMOS. dont start overclocking at 230FSB!!! then you will have to clear. take your time and you will find a way.

I don't know about the IC7 Max3, but the regular IC7 and IC7-G will restart with just a few things going back to default (RAM timing, N/B strap, memory ratio, etc.) if you hit the reset 3 times in a row (allowing a few seconds in between resets). If you clear the CMOS, all the BIOS will go back to default settings.

when you press three times reset mobo will go back to default after 20-30sec, it's only clears memory timings, cpu frequency, ratio, cpu vcore, fsb,

PHILIP1193 said:
ok i am about to o/c my p4 if i mess it up and it wont post and need to clear the cmos, will my setting just go back to default ones and repost? or will it totally mess up my whole set up? :( :rolleyes:

Phil

You can also clear cpu & memtimings by holding down the INS (Insert) key as you boot up. It works most of the time but not if you've gone way too far.

Back