• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

clock per clock performance, new vs old question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

so just going to make this short.

compared to my 960T are there any other AM3/3+ processors out there that are getting more done at the same speed.
any thing more efficient at the same speed of my 960T basically.

was thinking of upgrading my CPU but if there nothing better to get then, meh

The only reason I went with a FX 6350 is the price was about half that of a used 1100T. If I were looking now , I would wait and see what Zen has to offer or shop Intel.

Although the older Thuban and Phenom had a higher IPC the FX are typically able to clock higher and they have a lot of added CPU instruction sets so depending on work load can be quite beneficial.

Well, if you count in video processing performance as part of the total performance equation then of course the APUs would need to be considered since they have on-die IGPs and the 1090T has none but as far as CPU processing power, no.

Although the older Thuban and Phenom had a higher IPC the FX are typically able to clock higher and they have a lot of added CPU instruction sets so depending on work load can be quite beneficial.
Yup. The only issue I see is if you went with a Fx 6xxx or 8xxx I'm not sure the Biostar in your signature would handle it.

oh I haven't updated that yet.
a few months ago I got a 990FXA-UD3

well hmm, so I gather that theres not much to be had except if I went FX and then its not that much and mainly just higher clock speeds...
I guess i'll just see what I can do with this on the gigglebyte board when I poke it with a hot poker and if it pops i'll go FX cheap.

no sence in going APU with my wierdo bi generational 7870 / 270x crossfire thing going on.

on the biostar I could get to 3.6 on 6 cores. the gigglebyte wont unlock any cores for what ever reason so I am hoping I can make up for that with something around 3.8 with some super mad bus and HT speeds. I am thinking 200Mhz more isn't going to compare with 2 extra cores lost but maybe getting that info in and out of the busses faster it might have a greater benefit, not PCI bus though....that ones sensitive like a flower

well hmm, so I gather that theres not much to be had except if I went FX and then its not that much and mainly just higher clock speeds...
I guess i'll just see what I can do with this on the gigglebyte board when I poke it with a hot poker and if it pops i'll go FX cheap.

no sence in going APU with my wierdo bi generational 7870 / 270x crossfire thing going on.

on the biostar I could get to 3.6 on 6 cores. the gigglebyte wont unlock any cores for what ever reason so I am hoping I can make up for that with something around 3.8 with some super mad bus and HT speeds. I am thinking 200Mhz more isn't going to compare with 2 extra cores lost but maybe getting that info in and out of the busses faster it might have a greater benefit, not PCI bus though....that ones sensitive like a flower
I've found it's harder to unlock chips on the 990Fx platform, even if the option is available and the chip is a known unlocker. I've have 3 chips that would unlock on other boards but will not on my 990x/990fx platforms.

As far as the Fx chip goes, yes the Fx chips need to be overclocked about 1 gig higher to compete with the PII/Thuban chips in Ipc and single threaded benchmarks. I can tell you in daily usage my Fx 8350 @ 4.5-4.7 is definitely faster then my 955 Be/ 1090T and 960 T at or near 4.0 G. I still use my 955 on a daily basis and the Fx just runs faster with day to day operations.

alright resurrecting this because I think the processor is past its serviceable life. my OC has dwindled further and further down, its almost to stock and I get random transient hard locks at any speed more and more frequently.
swapping a test processor in there (I think it was a Sempron or something little I had laying around) and no hard locks and everything is testing out ok. over time I've replaced everything on this system in the past 2 years except the CPU and heatsink and the heatsink is most definitely not the problem. its to the point where I can go days with out a hard lock or experience 3 or more in an hours time. but its atleast several times a week now and it still doesn't matter if its under load or idle. its been a worsening problem but I did unlock it and push the crap out of it since it was new...

I have about $130 credit at amazon so I was wondering if I should just get a cheap 6 core for about $100 or go balls to the walls and go 8 cores.

looks like 6 core FX is about $100 and highest spec 8xxx I could find on amazon was about $199

I took out a $1000 loan I thought I needed but wound up not so I can dip into it a bit but I want to be able to pay it back in the next month so I can replace my car

Unless you will be utilizing all 8 cores with what you do on the Pc just get the Fx 6xxx. They aren't as demanding on the motherboard, due to less power draw and therefore easier to keep cool.

I did some poking around and found some E cpus that use approx. 30 watts less. even at 125 watts I have plenty of overhead on this board. i'm just kinda stuck on if its going to be using 95 watts I should get as much bang for my watt as possible? I donno. either way its going to be more than what it lists because it will eventually get over clocked
I almost want to wait for the zen stuff but at the same time I might not be able to afford a new mobo, cpu, and possibly ram, with the same performance if I do that

Unless you will be utilizing all 8 cores with what you do on the Pc just get the Fx 6xxx. They aren't as demanding on the motherboard, due to less power draw and therefore easier to keep cool.

So would a 970 mobo suffice for the 6300?

I know that would depend on the motherboard it self mine for instance has multiple revisions and the early revisions only supported 125 watt cpus but some of the newer onces support 220.

what motherboard do you have?

also as a side note I forgot I had enough "points" to redeem another $100 amazon credit from my credit card rewards so I can get what ever. it'll take a few weeks but it'll give me a chance to decide and if any thing goes on sale before then i'll just jump on it

I'd say look into FX-8370E

CPU part numbers FX-8370 (NOT E)
FD8370FRW8KHK is an OEM/tray microprocessor
FD8370FRHKBOX is a boxed microprocessor with fan and heatsink
Frequency ? 4000 MHz
Turbo frequency 4300 MHz
Boosted P states [1] #1: 4300 MHz, 1.425V
#2: 4100 MHz, 1.375V

VS

Model number ? FX-8310
CPU part numbers
FD8310WMW8KHK is an OEM/tray microprocessor
FD8310WMHKSBX is a boxed microprocessor with fan and heatsink
Frequency ? 3400 MHz
Turbo frequency 3700 MHz (more than 4 cores) [1]
4300 MHz (4 cores or less) [1]
Boosted P states [2] #1: 4300 MHz, 1.4125V
#2: 3700 MHz, 1.25V

Model number ? FX-8370E
CPU part numbers
FD837EWMW8KHK is an OEM/tray microprocessor
FD837EWMHKBOX is a boxed microprocessor with fan and heatsink
Frequency ? 3300 MHz
Turbo frequency 4300 MHz
Boosted P states [1] #1: 4300 MHz, 1.375V
#2: 3600 MHz, 1.2125V

Got a little difference in P-state voltage there. The E chip gonna have more horse power on a lower power consumption. Good chips.

I'd say look into FX-8370E

CPU part numbers FX-8370 (NOT E)
FD8370FRW8KHK is an OEM/tray microprocessor
FD8370FRHKBOX is a boxed microprocessor with fan and heatsink
Frequency ? 4000 MHz
Turbo frequency 4300 MHz
Boosted P states [1] #1: 4300 MHz, 1.425V
#2: 4100 MHz, 1.375V

VS

Model number ? FX-8310
CPU part numbers
FD8310WMW8KHK is an OEM/tray microprocessor
FD8310WMHKSBX is a boxed microprocessor with fan and heatsink
Frequency ? 3400 MHz
Turbo frequency 3700 MHz (more than 4 cores) [1]
4300 MHz (4 cores or less) [1]
Boosted P states [2] #1: 4300 MHz, 1.4125V
#2: 3700 MHz, 1.25V

Model number ? FX-8370E
CPU part numbers
FD837EWMW8KHK is an OEM/tray microprocessor
FD837EWMHKBOX is a boxed microprocessor with fan and heatsink
Frequency ? 3300 MHz
Turbo frequency 4300 MHz
Boosted P states [1] #1: 4300 MHz, 1.375V
#2: 3600 MHz, 1.2125V

Got a little difference in P-state voltage there. The E chip gonna have more horse power on a lower power consumption. Good chips.
This is a good point Shrimpy, these "lower end" Fx 8xxx chips especially the E variants seem to run on a lot less voltage then the Fx 8350/8370's. They may make for a good choice.

I will keep an eye out now for a deal on an E version for my build.... thanks for the info

Back