• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clouding/Banding on brand-new VA BenQ monitor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dream3

Registered
Hello guys! I have a saddening issue with my 2 brand-new BenQ BL2410PT monitors.

These are VA panels by the way.

So I noticed these weird patches of darker color, especially when I open up Photoshop, which has a very consistent gray background.

Here is the 1st monitor:

51c5z8GlH.jpg

And here for the 2nd one:

HE8wRCy4t.jpg

As you can see, the 1st one has a dark blob to the right of the white box. It's the only one in the whole screen.
The 2nd one has a dark band going from top to bottom.

So...are these clouding/banding issues supposed to be normal, especially in VA type-panels?
Should I try to replace both? Or maybe just one of them?

There are no issues with pixels though, so I guess that's a good thing.

I'm kinda sad because my old CCFL LCD monitors were amazing, zero problems like that. But their contrast was really bad, so these BenQs meant to be an upgrade.* I couldn't stand the IPS glow at all so I chose to pick the VAs instead, lol.

Last edited:
The BenQ BL2410PT is an excellent monitor. There is no way that either display is working correctly.

Where did you buy them and how long ago? I'd either RMA them or (hopefully) they are covered under warranty.

Good Luck! Please keep us posted!

The BenQ BL2410PT is an excellent monitor. There is no way that either display is working correctly.

Where did you buy them and how long ago? I'd either RMA them or (hopefully) they are covered under warranty.

Good Luck! Please keep us posted!

Really bro? So there should be absolutely no marks/patterns of that kind at all?

I'll try to replace them with the dealer first. See how it turns out. If not, fortunately BenQ offers local warranty here in my country, so I guess they could take care of it. I just wan't expecting having to ship my 2 brand-new monitors for a replacement of such an important part...

Really bro? So there should be absolutely no marks/patterns of that kind at all?

I'll try to replace them with the dealer first. See how it turns out. If not, fortunately BenQ offers local warranty here in my country, so I guess they could take care of it. I just wan't expecting having to ship my 2 brand-new monitors for a replacement of such an important part...

From the TFT Central review:

"Testing the screen with colour gradients showed smooth transitions with only slight gradation in darker tones. There was no obvious banding present which was good."

Article

I am assuming of course that you have tried different profiles and settings. Read the end of the review if you haven't.

I still think that I would return them. I know it is a pain - you'll thank yourself six months from now!:D

My BenQ EW2740 has a couple of tiny imperfections in the display I decided to live with rather than go to the hassle of RMAing something I'd already calibrated, but it has nothing at all as bad as that.

I'd probably have RMAd it if it had showed up with those issues.

Thanks, glad you guys could help me out. I still havent tried calibrating and changing profiles though. Will get back ASAP.

For now I've updated the pictures. Think it will be easier to spot the problem.

If Photoshop is one of your main uses, I'd recommend a Dell Ultrasharp with a calibrated IPS panel.

Definitely return the monitors you have, they shouldn't be doing that.

Here's one of my monitors for reference. It is one of three Dell U2414H monitors that I use every day.

The little bit of color change seen is from my phone's camera, not the monitor.

Attachments

• 1446257041334.jpg
    1446257041334.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,506
Thanks for the suggestion ATMINSIDE.

They were on my list until I bought my first cheap IPS, just to check it out. I couldnt stand that IPS glow. Then I did some research and it seems it doesnt go away as the price tag goes up...So I moved towards VA panels.

There's even a nice youtube channel that does glow comparisons:

1st one is the BenQ bl2410pt
2nd one the Dell u2414h

That glow bothers me to my core. To make it worse I've always used one monitor in front of me but the other tilted in a 30 degree angle, so yeah, I guess no IPS for me.

The only time you'll ever notice that glow is on a 100% black screen.
Even then, you have to look for it.

Quite a small tradeoff for 99% sRGB color accuracy if you're doing a lot of Photoshop work.

Have you ever seen a quality IPS panel? Because I've seen some with terrible glow, but in my experience quality panels have this issue mostly taken care of.

I will back up Atminsides suggestion of the Dell U2414H, he suggested it to me a while back and I purchased it. It's a really nice monitor and the coloring seems true to my eyes.

Quite a small tradeoff for 99% sRGB color accuracy if you're doing a lot of Photoshop work.

FWIW, all of my shots I post in the Photo of the Day thread are post processed on the EW2740. Back when I bought it, I couldn't get an IPS in budget that was worth buying so I went with an MVA that was supposed to have fantastic color accuracy.

Long story short, I've seen big canvases of my work come out of the lab looking the same as they do on that monitor. After calibration, of course. At any rate, color accuracy isn't an issue with it.

Now uniform contrast over the entire display area, on the other hand... there it lags behind IPS. I figured color accuracy was more important.

Back