• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cold bug or just a dud chip?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't think anyone has asked this...

Stepping? Revision?

Oh.. And I think there may be just one thing left for you to do... Send that chip to someone else that runs 775 so they can do some more testing on a different board.

I havent checked the stepping on the CPU, but CPU-Z says stepping 6 and revision 2B.

I do have another 775 board, but it's not rigged for sub-zero yet, and I dont think i want to do that to another MB for this crap chip :p

Ohh well at least my efficiency is pretty good, so even though I'm running at low speeds, I still got a 12 point score on Wprime32. It's not a total loss then lol

I havent checked the stepping on the CPU, but CPU-Z says stepping 6 and revision 2B.

I do have another 775 board, but it's not rigged for sub-zero yet, and I dont think i want to do that to another MB for this crap chip :p

Ohh well at least my efficiency is pretty good, so even though I'm running at low speeds, I still got a 12 point score on Wprime32. It's not a total loss then lol

Did you mean Stepping 6, Revision B2? Because those should be the "supposedly" good clockers.

To answer your first question, YES a core2 chip can CB at dice speeds.
Is it likely to happen? No, but if the chip had previously been abused it could very well happen.
I'm thinking you might have just hit the abused chip/ crappy chip jackpot. Does it run cool with air/ water? if so you might have a low-leakage chip.

you have probably degraded the chip. socket 775 has been notorious for degrading at high volts quickly. this same thing happened to one of my chips a month or two ago. i could get superpi at 3.8GHz and then it wouldn't even do 3.4GHz the next day.

just a quick degrading chip i guess :shrug:

Did you mean Stepping 6, Revision B2? Because those should be the "supposedly" good clockers.

Yeah I might have typed it wrong, cant check it right now, but i will do that later.

To answer your first question, YES a core2 chip can CB at dice speeds.
Is it likely to happen? No, but if the chip had previously been abused it could very well happen.
I'm thinking you might have just hit the abused chip/ crappy chip jackpot. Does it run cool with air/ water? if so you might have a low-leakage chip.

Yeah I think you might be right, it might be an abused chip.
I diddnt try watercooling/air yet, and I'm not sure I can be bothered trying lol. I'm just mad at that stupid chip atm :argue:

you have probably degraded the chip. socket 775 has been notorious for degrading at high volts quickly. this same thing happened to one of my chips a month or two ago. i could get superpi at 3.8GHz and then it wouldn't even do 3.4GHz the next day.

just a quick degrading chip i guess :shrug:

I dont think the chip has degraded while I had it, because it's been pretty bad from the beginning. I think it's either a bad chip or it has been beaten up before I got it.

Anyway I cant bench more tonight, I was so stupid to turn off the computer when I went out to grab something to eat. The wife wanted to see a movie, so I kinda forgot about the bench setup for a couple of hours. :chair:
When I got back, it looked like this:
Ups01.jpg

Ups02.jpg

Ups03.jpg

:bang head

Oh man...I hope the chip lived. You should have definitely disconnected power completely

Funny thing is this. You could run that setup how it is. God forbid any ice melts though.

Conductivity of frozen water = low
Conductivity of liquid water = high

I spy water drops on the caps on that second to last pic... I hope your little lapse in memory did not cost you a working board... if the chip died, so be it... those are not so hard to replace, but killing that REX would be painful.

The power was off while I watched the movie, so I dont think anything has happened to the HW. And yes there is water on the board.

Power cord is disconnected now and it's defrosting atm. Will use the hair dryer on it and leave it overnight. :)

Everything is fine today, nothing died. I reseated the pot to make sure there is proper contact, but that diddnt help either. Played around with PL settings and but it diddnt help... I think this is just a really bad/abused chip.

Never seen a 775 chip coldbug on dice, you just got your hands on a bad chip. Btw your plan with the hair dryer was a good one, a board can get completely soaked and still work normally as long as you dry it out first.

Back