• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comparing these sound cards.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Intrepid

I've decided to get two sound cards, one for listening, one for recording.

I've looked at the following cards, all within about the same price range. For listening and seperately recording, which card is the best of the list I've come up with?

ESI Juli@
M-Audio Audiophilia 192
E-MU 1212M
M-Audio 1010lt
M-Audio revo 7.1

And any other cards you might know of are wealcome contenders. I've decided I don't trust Creative, since mine died, and also, these cards are all better then an Audigy.

Last edited:
Why one for recording and one for listening? The E-MU 1212m for example, has excellent inputs and outputs. Don't waste money on two cards.

The only one I've heard is the E-MU 1212m...I know it's quite a ways above the Revo 7.1 in sound quality, not sure how it compares to the others. But I've always heard the E-MU 1212m rivals $500ish CD players as an audio source. Recording I imagine is very good...it's got quite a few balanced inputs and outputs. Get the 1820m if you need more I/O.

Ok, I've narrowed it down some more, the revo5.1 I've read has a better DAC, and better quality sound then the 7.1, and is about on par with the audiophilia 192.

I'm still not sure if the audiophilia 192 can do 5.1 can it?

As for the 1212M, it is a superior card to the revo5.1, but lacks the surround sound capacity.

My only potential qualms with the E-MU line is that they are really Creative cards, and I have had issues with Creative for some time, and I've heard of driver problems with the 1212M, and driver issues are something I genuinely hope to avoid. And my Audigy 1 plat died on me.

Thus, my last question is, how does the sound quality of the delta 1010LT compare with that of the 1212M and the revo5.1, because the 1010LT can handle all my recording needs AND has all of the output capabilities I need.

Last edited:
Yeah, the E-MU cards can be really finicky. A lot of people have compatability issues and driver issues. I haven't had any problems on either of the two systems I've put my 0404 into though. I've used it in a desktop rig with an Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard, and it's now in my Shuttle SN95G5. No problems whatsoever...piece of cake to install for me.

So how will it work with an Intel P4 3.2 2mb cache, OCZ DDR2, on an ASUS P5WD2? And with an ATI x800pro.

I've had zero issues with my E-MU 1212m and my Audigy 2 in the same system. For sound drivers, I never use the installer, I always use the update driver function and point it to the driver CD and let it search for the drivers itself. For my Audigy 2 I used the Creative beta drivers off their website (the ones that are actually a full install).

The only one problem I had with drivers is when I installed my E-MU 1212m over the Audigy 2, it asked me if I wanted to replace the newer files with the old ones (from the E-MU CD) if I say yes, it farks up and doesn't work. If I say no, it does work. I looked at the driver details, it seems the Audigy 2 and the E-MU 1212m share some of the core Creative drivers. I had a little trouble getting them both working simultaneously, but that's probably due to the Audigy 2 beta drivers.

Bottom line: If you have just the 1212m on your system and install the drivers off the CD or the latest from the E-MU website, you shouldn't have any problems.

Oh, and Creative bought E-MU a few years back. All the hardware and most of the software is engineered by E-MU, it's just under Creative's name. So there's no where near as much software trouble. And as for your system, it should probably run fine.

For pure sound quality, the 1212m may be the winner. I can't speak objectively since I haven't heard any of those other cards, but from what I remember reading on Head-Fi, it does rival 500-600 dollar CD players in playback quality. Recording quality I bet is also just as good.

Coolness, I'll get that then, my decision's made, but after a long process of reaserch and consideration. I'll have to find some other way of getting surround.

This is an onboard sound card on the motherboard, I'll see how good it works, as it can do the 5.1 stuff. My only deal is, will it conflict with my 1212M? I can disable the onboard if it does.

Well, before you buy, don't let my enthusiasm sway you too far. Yes, the E-MU 1212m is a fantastic card for stereo listening and recording (and even surround recording since you can mix it later). It's hard to beat for stereo quality in a PC (as far as I'm aware, at least for anything close to the price).

If you REALLY NEED surround, the M-Audio Revolution 5.1 or 7.1 would be the ticket. But ask yourself, do you really NEED it? For music, surround usually ruins the stereo soundstage on most recordings. It's nice in games for locating sounds, and nice in some movies for the same thing, but beyond that, eh. Infact, for gaming, good headphones with a decent soundstage provide great position. It doesn't provide nearly as much of the realism that the "sound is coming from behind" as 5.1 speakers do, but good headphones with a good soundstage easily let you distinguish from front/rear. Especially if you have a card that does EAX, such as the Audigy 2. Which you can pick up for like $40 these days, new it's called the Audigy 2 Value I think. It's EAX is the same as the newer cards, sans the X-Fi (which isn't even out, and we don't know if it's any good). The Audigy 2 + E-MU card is a great gaming combo. Using the digital out on my Audigy 2 (it's a stereo mini jack, I think either the tip or the pin both carry the digital signal, I made my cable with the tip) to the E-MU's digital in (in the case of the 1212m, an RCA connector for non-optical) I basically get EAX effects in games with the sound quality of my 1212m. What you're doing is just bypassing the DAC and amp circuits in the Audigy 2 (which suck) and sending just plain old digital bits to the E-MU. Result is great...awesome sound quality, no game compatibility issues.

Anyways, I don't even know if you're doing gaming...just went on a rant there just in case. But as I said earlier, it's surround vs stereo. Then there's the question if the rest of your audio equipment would even be good enough to notice the differences between an M-Audio Revolution, an E-MU 0404 and an E-MU 1212m. Granted, the 1212m is a good investment if you're upgrading your rig later, but it's just something to think about.

Also, no, there shouldn't be any issues with your onboard sound. If you have your onboard sound plugged into a 5.1 system and your E-MU into a stereo speaker system (for example) you should be able to use them both simultaneously. As in, both playing at once, if you really wanted. Just make sure your software supports choosing audio output devices. Most decent players do. Winamp does, Foobar2000 does (oh, does it ever have output options), even WMP does I think. As for video players (like if you wanted to watch a movie in 5.1), Media Player Classic, VideoLAN, any good free player should support it. PowerDVD and other retail players should as well. You've probably seen the selection box before, except the only options were "Default" and "Whatever-soundcard-you-have-installed".

You are correct about everything you said. Now, is EAX that importnat for sterio music and sound can it really help that much? I can live with two speakers, it means I can get better ones. And I do plan on upgrading more later on. If I have an onboard soundcard that can do EAX and has digital out, could I sent the digital signal to the EMU from it too, what other circuits on the first card are involved in going from file to digital signal going to the 2nd card?

I think in my rant that perhaps you misunderstood me...EAX is only useful for gaming in determining where sounds are coming from. And all the echo/reverb stuff it does. Some games utilize it very, VERY well, some barely at all. It doesn't do anything for music. There are EAX environmental effects you can apply in the Creative control panel that are processed into all outgoing sound - things like concert hall, cavern, etc. They're fun to play with but they make the music sound worse.

And yes, if your onboard sound does EAX and has a digital out (is it nVidia SoundStorm by chance?) you can plug it into your E-MU card. The 1212m has coaxial digital inputs and outputs (it's just an RCA jack) and optical, which I think uses TOSLINK or whatever it is they use for optical these days. Whichever your onboard has, just link it into the E-MU card. You don't even need to configure Patchmix DSP (the E-MU mixing software) to route the digital signal back to the analog outs. It seems to do it automatically or something...I haven't quite fully figured out Patchmix DSP myself.

Back