• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Complete PC Optimization

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lelouche

Pc Optimization Help​
Hello everyone,

I`m a semi-professional gamer ( recently got involved with a sponsored team) who needs your help! I`m trying to maximize and optimize my gaming experience and this is why I need help! I know a little bit about optimizing my pc (organize your folders, shut down unnecessary programs, defrag etc. ) but i`m a newbie when it comes to the more complex details like overclocking. So i`ll write the parts I need guiding and the parts I know something about. Would be happy if you give some of your time to help me if you are able to!

Note: If you detect any important areas I didn`t write or skip; please feel free to give your comments. I`ll be constantly editing this post; adding things you asked.

What are my goals?​

1) To play DotA 2 at max settings, 1920x1080p at a constant 60 fps

2) To overclock my hardware to its highest acceptable levels. I use my PC mainly for gaming and watching movie/anime. I think I can overclock it to high levels because I don’t use any extreme programs ( say like photoshop, 3dmax ). I`m not against benchmarking but I don`t think i`ll need a 24/48 hours passmark/furmark stable build because like I said I don`t do anything extreme with my PC; the most extreme thing I do is like playing games for 8 – 14 hours a day. PC can be open for 1-2 days in some rare cases but even then it`ll be probably for downloading stuff.

3) To use my system ( Win 7 64 Ulti) to its best.

What are my resources?​

Good Internet skills. Able to find and use most programs.

Good IQ =)

Can`t buy anything new over my given specs. Gonna use my money for better keyboard / mouse.

Standart cooling stuff. * Explained in ``Case`` section.

What do I need ? / *What is my knowledge level?​

1)Tips on optimizing the Windows and system care. Which softwares to use? How frequently?
* General stuff. Used C-Cleaner, Advanced System Optimizer and a DeFragment tool (don’t remember the name). I keep my folders and drives organized.

2)Overclocking guide, Hardware related stuff. Which BIOS settings to use? How to Overclock CPU, RAM and GPU? How to determine how much overclocking I need?
* I have basic knowledge about overclocking; used MSI Afterburner for mildly overclocking my GPU. Can`t say same about CPU and RAM.

What is my System Spec? / *How i`m using them?​

1) Case: A big CoolerMaster case; can`t say the model though it has 1 extra fan inside and its` sides are partially wired ( the case is not entirely closed is what i`m trying to say lol ). It is a bit better than most average cases when it comes to temperature.
*I re-organized the cables inside it amateurly but I suppose the fans are blowing a bit less interrupted than before. The room I`m using my case is at normal room temperature ( thought this might help you about overclocking advices).

2) OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit with latest Updates.
*Currently optimized with Advanced System Optimizer and several Cleaner programs. No background, no unnecessary things. Going to do a last format after I got the other things optimized.

3) Hardware:
Motherboard = X38-DQ6
*Not doing anything special on it. Don`t know very much about BIOS settings like C.I.A 2, Performance Enchant, Robust Graphics Booster etc.

CPU = Intel Core 2 Quad 6600
*At standart levels.

RAM = 2 x [ (2 x 2 gb KHX 6400 D2K2-4G DDR2) ] Total of 8 gb
*At standart levels.

GPU = ASUS GTX 570 Direct CU II ( have two fans and factory
overclocked; a bit higher model than the other 570`s)
* At 975 voltage, 822 core clock mhz, 1644 shader clock mhz, 1979 memory clock mhz via MSI afterburner program.

Hard Disks = WDC WD 10EARS-00Y5B1 SCSI ( 1 TB, SATA 2, 5400 RPM 64 mb buffer size) and ST3250410AS SCSI ( 250 gb, SATA 2, 7200 RPM, 16 mb buffer size)
*They are connected to the GSATA sockets on MB. 1 TB hd has two partitions; a 100 gb part used for Windows and all of my programs ( it is never exceeding %70 space) and a 900 gb part which is used for STEAM, other games and game archives. The other hard disk ( 250 gb ) is only used for archives; my animes, movies, game archives and program installations stays in there ( I never install anything in here just archives) !NOTE!: 1 TB is the slave of the 250 gb although I don`t know and didn`t do anything about jumper settings. Don’t know if this is important.

Monitor = Samsung S23B550V ( 23 inch, widescreen, 1920x1080 resolution, 60 hz)
*Always at 1920x1080p at 60 hz.

Other Stuff = Default fans (don’t have any extra cooling stuff), basic Keyboard + Mouse, basic Headphones etc.
*Fans are working %60 - %95 via 3rd programs. Keyboard, mouse, headphones = nothing special.

How to help me?​

1) You can give a few good optimizing program names for Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate. You can say which areas I can optimize.

2) I need specifics on overclocking. I don`t need links to OC guides, I can find them my own too. I need precise helping for my own spec with how to`s. Don`t do `` go for xxx mhz you can do it`` on me; I don`t exactly know how to! I hope i`m not being too much cocky but sometimes posts can be perfunctory or like explaining to an idiot. Just explain to me my overclocking levels and how to/where to do them; and i`ll do them. If I can`t i`ll read and investigate more!

Thanks for reading!​

I'm not sure if you can afford overclocking on a sponsored team.

Imagine you're playing a match against another important team and suddenly you get a beautiful blue screen of death and have to restart / reconnnect / lose the match.

I can't really help you on 775 overclocking, I have no idea, best thing is to get a guide but you don't want to (you surely should, we can't just give you our overclocking knowledge with a magic wand, you know).

Little tips would be to use Black Viper's service configuration, to remove every single thing you don't need (both programs and Windows functions), to disable Aero and everything eyecandy, and to set your game's graphics settings to below zero. You don't usually need to be able to count the number of atoms a wall has while gaming. You need to have +130fps not to drop frames so that you can be faster than the enemy (at least, that's what they CS pros say, not sure why, something about the hitboxes).

Back