• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compusa goes under

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I dunno what you guys are talking about. The Circuit City near me is hands down better than the Best Buy. Nine out of ten times their DVDs are cheaper than Best Buy too. CC usually has their harddrives for sale more often or just plain cheaper.

IMO, both BB and CC charge too much. Their DVD prices get pwned by Amazon and Half, and their prices on computer equipment like drives get pwned by Newegg most of the time (the odd really low sale price aside). I could do without both to be honest. But the reality is that BB dominates the consumer electronics market in much of the nation, and competitors like CC are reeling and have been for a while.

You might live in an area where CC is very strong, just like CompUSA was strong in Texas for a long time. But eventually it won't be enough.

There was a staples and a office max near me. when office max went down , staples prices went up. I use to go to whoever had a better deal cuz they always had competing sales.

Bestbuy and target, dont even sell all the stuff. And noone is seliing parts like mobos, cpus, around me,... I cant wait for Fryes on the east coast..

Circiut city is alot better then compusa.. THe closest one is more then 50 miles away but it sells proccesors..

Circuit city is a much bigger animal than CompUSA. They have 6 or 7 times more stores in Canada alone, and then there's the US stores to count. Over 12 Billion in revenue; they're bankrolling themselves...

I've always found the prices at both stores to be high compared to online w/shipping (in my area anyway). Only time I go there is if I need something same day.

IMO, both BB and CC charge too much. Their DVD prices get pwned by Amazon and Half, and their prices on computer equipment like drives get pwned by Newegg most of the time (the odd really low sale price aside). I could do without both to be honest. But the reality is that BB dominates the consumer electronics market in much of the nation, and competitors like CC are reeling and have been for a while.

You might live in an area where CC is very strong, just like CompUSA was strong in Texas for a long time. But eventually it won't be enough.

I don't see how their DVD prices get "pwned" by amazon and half. Most of the time CC's new releases are the same price and you don't have to pay for shipping... How is that pwned?

sorry to say but i havent bought anything from compusa in a long time 90% of the stuff i need locally i can get cheaper elswhere and the rest i can get cheaper thru MO ... and i have a real hard time buying a game card for 17.95 from them when the same game card is 14.99 elsewhere which is the "actual" monthly subscription rate ... bout the only thing i use compusa for is to make sure that the prices im paying elsewhere are "fair" prices .... now i wont have my referrence anymore ... guess ill have to set the bar a little higher and use CC or BB .... lol

anyone know when official closing is ... maybe i can finally get some decent prices outta them ...

Last edited:
It was convenient to have them around sometimes, but the profit margins were too high. I needed AS5 in Rhode Island on an immediate basis. They had it, but 9.99 per 2.5g tube was excessive, considering that my wholesaler at home has the 3.5g tubes for 5.00. I needed it for a large project so I bought it, 7.5g for 32.00 and change.

I don't see how their DVD prices get "pwned" by amazon and half. Most of the time CC's new releases are the same price and you don't have to pay for shipping... How is that pwned?

Let's compare prices on PotC 3: At World's End, released on 12/04 and has promo pricing through 12/15.

CC - $19.99
http://entertainment.circuitcity.com/Movies/Movie.aspx?v_id=V+++320301&type=&prodid=WD4099003DVD

BB - $19.99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8483125&st=at+world's+end&type=product&id=1666190

Amazon - $14.99
http://www.amazon.com/Pirates-Carib..._bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1197480191&sr=8-1

And with Amazon you don't have to pay sales tax. Many times you also do not have to pay shipping (like right now on orders of $25 or more). Amazon frequently has Buy One Get One or other sales. Etc.

IMO, B&M stores like CC and BB are for the impatient that must get their hands on a movie right away. Those who want to save money and don't mind waiting shop online.

no big loss tbh.i moved to ohio and left compusa in my former state.the only reason i ever went there was to see what i was going to buy from newegg first hand.that was convienient particularly for cases but they had terrible pricing.

we have nothing in the way of pc stores here other than bb/cc.which are useless for hardware.
come on frys!

sorry to say but i havent bought anything from compusa in a long time 90% of the stuff i need locally i can get cheaper elswhere and the rest i can get cheaper thru MO ... and i have a real hard time buying a game card for 17.95 from them when the same game card is 14.99 elsewhere which is the "actual" monthly subscription rate ... bout the only thing i use compusa for is to make sure that the prices im paying elsewhere are "fair" prices .... now i wont have my referrence anymore ... guess ill have to set the bar a little higher and use CC or BB .... lol

anyone know when official closing is ... maybe i can finally get some decent prices outta them ...

About 9 weeks

It was convenient to have them around sometimes, but the profit margins were too high. I needed AS5 in Rhode Island on an immediate basis. They had it, but 9.99 per 2.5g tube was excessive, considering that my wholesaler at home has the 3.5g tubes for 5.00. I needed it for a large project so I bought it, 7.5g for 32.00 and change.

Wow. Considering how little is used per CPU, that is a big project.

Wow. Considering how little is used per CPU, that is a big project.

44 Opteron 250s in a 22 node cluster. I had enough initially, but though the BIOS update information for the planars listed support for the 250s, it lacked the MTRR settings for stability under Linux. 12 planars and about 5K later, the entire cluster was upgraded... I overpurchased, but it was a 45 minute drive from the location to the store and didn't want to run short. It was already going to be an 80 hour workweek, excluding travel.

It was convenient to have them around sometimes, but the profit margins were too high. I needed AS5 in Rhode Island on an immediate basis.

Well it's a good thing RadioShack is still around, you can get Arctic Silver 5 or Ceramique at RadioShack if yoiu needed the product quick. :santa:

44 Opteron 250s in a 22 node cluster. I had enough initially, but though the BIOS update information for the planars listed support for the 250s, it lacked the MTRR settings for stability under Linux. 12 planars and about 5K later, the entire cluster was upgraded... I overpurchased, but it was a 45 minute drive from the location to the store and didn't want to run short. It was already going to be an 80 hour workweek, excluding travel.

That sounds like a project where AS5 is overkill :santa:

Back