• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Considering trying to mine....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

epauls

I have 3 rigs that are doing nothing most of the time.

All have at least 8gb of mem, and I5's in each.
1) GTX 780
2) GTX 660 ti
3) GTX 1080

Would these be able to mine?

1080 would be ok for ethereum or zcash for starters. Not sure about the older cards. I had trouble doing ethereum with Maxwell cards which is why I put them on Zcash. What is the goal here? Ongoing income? Accumulate and hold in the hopes pricing will rise over time? Winter heating?

1080 would be ok for ethereum or zcash for starters. Not sure about the older cards. I had trouble doing ethereum with Maxwell cards which is why I put them on Zcash. What is the goal here? Ongoing income? Accumulate and hold in the hopes pricing will rise over time? Winter heating?

Hoping to make some money with bored computers lol.

To get a ball park indication, you can search for typical hashrates for your GPUs for various coins, and use that with a calculator site to estimate your potential income. Also consider how much power they will use, and your power cost, and see if you can at least break even. The 1080 should be ok for ethereum and zcash, which are the only two I've looked at. I can't comment on the older ones.

Correct a big drop in prices just happened over the past few days. Its starting to affect all currencies right now that are in the top 30.
So that being said just be aware while at this time still some things can make money while mining, just not everything might not be as profitable anymore.

+1
the 1080 is def worth it, the 10xx series are generally very good, even better than amd cards for mining

eth is the best coin choice too as its better power efficiency than others, zec for ex will eat more power for the same gains, xmr will eat less power but it will produce less too, so eth with a setting of 50-60 power use and +100-150 on core and +300-400 on vram

prices are jumping around, but its still worthwhile and I strongly believe long term will be positive again

On my 1080 I got the best ETH hashrate with

50% Power Target (only needed for low power usage)
-400MHz on clock (clock speed makes no difference for ETH, dropped it for less power usesge)
+1000 MHz on mem

Got me from 21 to 26 MH/s. Nvidia cards aren’t the best for ETH. Probably better to mine something with Equihash

the 1080 is def worth it, the 10xx series are generally very good, even better than amd cards for mining

Depends how you define best. Miners seem to look at it on ROI and AMD cards being cheaper will swing it towards them.

20 MH/s 1060 3GB
26 MH/s 1070
32 MH/s 1080 Ti

19 MH/s RX 580
34 MH/s Vega 56

Above nvidia cards are stock, out of the box (factory OC). The AMD cards have had a slight ram overclock, and using the gaming driver not blockchain driver. I still haven't done extensive optimisation yet. Claims elsewhere suggest I could be getting quite a bit more out of the AMD cards at least.

Depends how you define best. Miners seem to look at it on ROI and AMD cards being cheaper will swing it towards them.

20 MH/s 1060 3GB
26 MH/s 1070
32 MH/s 1080 Ti

19 MH/s RX 580
34 MH/s Vega 56

Above nvidia cards are stock, out of the box (factory OC). The AMD cards have had a slight ram overclock, and using the gaming driver not blockchain driver. I still haven't done extensive optimisation yet. Claims elsewhere suggest I could be getting quite a bit more out of the AMD cards at least.

with all the hype, nvidia is actually cheaper than amd right now, 1060 3gb is cheaper than 580 4gb and 6gb is cheaper than 8gb in EU

they are also better because their hash to watt ratio is better, so technically roi will happen sooner even with a higher buy in price

I don't know how their hash rate will compare once optimised, thus overall hash/watt. I've seen claims of significantly higher rates than I'm getting on the 580. Wattman sucks at changing settings, even worse on multi-GPU setups, and I haven't looked for other tools yet. It's all on my "to do" list.

I don't know how their hash rate will compare once optimised, thus overall hash/watt. I've seen claims of significantly higher rates than I'm getting on the 580. Wattman sucks at changing settings, even worse on multi-GPU setups, and I haven't looked for other tools yet. It's all on my "to do" list.

use msi afterburner, unlock voltage, set volts to -100, set core to 1150 and ram to 2100, this will give you about 20mhs;

the claims may be true, but they are true with a smaller DAG size, another problem in the amd vs nvidia fight its that amd is more sensible to the DAG size and hashrate decreases over time :( mine used to do 25, now just 20, the 1060s I have havent changed from 22 on the other hand (i have both 3gb and 6gb, doesnt matter, what matters is samsung vram (22mhs) or micron (20mhs) or hynix (18mhs, very poor performers))

the other thing, but this i dont recommend and dont use on my own cards, is to change vram timings. easy to do, but risky (if it ruins your vram, you dont have warranty as you flashed the bios)
procedure is as follows- save your current bios, edit it and copy the timings from 1750 to 2000, save, update (full guide)

The rate with DAG size, I have to wonder if that is part of what I'm currently seeing. If the reports I saw were much older... they could be much faster? I guess problem is, I don't have much to compare against right now. I also thought the blockchain driver was supposed to overcome that, so more reason for me to try that, once I've got my gaming benching out of the way. Was there supposed to be some switch in the lasted drivers, or am I imagining it?

The rate with DAG size, I have to wonder if that is part of what I'm currently seeing. If the reports I saw were much older... they could be much faster? I guess problem is, I don't have much to compare against right now. I also thought the blockchain driver was supposed to overcome that, so more reason for me to try that, once I've got my gaming benching out of the way. Was there supposed to be some switch in the lasted drivers, or am I imagining it?

now that I havent tried .. lets see :) will post back in a couple mins

Had another look on my 580 system, and I can't find any compute setting in there. In a search on the web I have found reference to it, but just don't see it on mine.

Epoch and hashrate

1080Ti

150 32.0
159 32.0 (current)
170 32.1
200 31.9

2x RX580

150 44.7
159 39.8 (current)
170 35.7
200 30.3

Ok, bit of a drop there on the AMD cards! Again, this is with the gaming driver, and I can't find the compute setting that some say should be there. I've heard the blockchain driver helps against that drop, so that'll be something to test another day.

Had another look on my 580 system, and I can't find any compute setting in there. In a search on the web I have found reference to it, but just don't see it on mine.

Epoch and hashrate

1080Ti

150 32.0
159 32.0 (current)
170 32.1
200 31.9

2x RX580

150 44.7
159 39.8 (current)
170 35.7
200 30.3

Ok, bit of a drop there on the AMD cards! Again, this is with the gaming driver, and I can't find the compute setting that some say should be there. I've heard the blockchain driver helps against that drop, so that'll be something to test another day.

just tested, awesome ! went to 25.8mhs :)
you need to download the blockchain driver, tis not a setting

Just benched my Vega 56, no change here:

150 37.0
159 37.0
170 37.0
200 37.0

I think it is 37 in bench as opposed to 34 actual due to the high continuous temps. Looks like the RX series could benefit most, which would significantly increase its competitiveness if so.

I really should get on to family stuff today so will swap the driver over another day.

Just benched my Vega 56, no change here:

150 37.0
159 37.0
170 37.0
200 37.0

I think it is 37 in bench as opposed to 34 actual due to the high continuous temps. Looks like the RX series could benefit most, which would significantly increase its competitiveness if so.

I really should get on to family stuff today so will swap the driver over another day.

lol, i too forgot its Christmas :D
it helps, I just did it on one machine, now doing the second, it brought back pre-dag affected hashrate

I should clarify, the blockchain driver seems to be the way to go, but may be a problem if you ever want to game on that system. I read on the Adrenalin gaming drivers, there is supposed to be a setting in there to switch it between gaming and compute mode. This is the setting I can't find.

Back