• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Coolcases.com D8000 quiet case review.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Katana Man

Registered
D8000 120mm quiet case review with pics.

For those who are interested in cases with 120mm fans, I
just posted my D8000 quiet PC project here. Complete with pics.

This thing is loaded too.
New Fortron 350W PSU with 120mm fan
AcoustiPack Deluxe panel dampening
Thermalright SLK-900U
Zalman ZM-MFC1 multi-fan controller
E.A.R fan grommets
All fans are 120mm except one 92mm fan.
And even a solid state hard drive.
(no moving parts, no noise, no heat, no drivers, shockproof, wearproof, bootable, and .048ms access time!)

Last edited:
It's getting replaced with a Zalman ZM80A shortly. However, the Acoustipack takes care of the noise very well as it is. I'm also trying to find some better Papst 120mm fans, but they are out of stock everywhere.

I’ve always wondered about insulation material. The purpose of getting the aluminum cases I got (lian-li pc61 and pc71) was because aluminum is suppose to dissipate heat better. If you cover the inside of the case with insulation (dampening material) to get rid of noise, doesn’t that also raise the temps of your system because heat isn’t able to escape like it use to?

Yes, they are much faster. They transfer nearly as fast as the bus can handle, and .048ms access time or better. You can't wear them out either. You can write 100 Gigs per day and it will last 27 years.

Cost is still expensive. But you know how computer prices are. It's only a matter of time.
Last time I check with them for prices was 6 months ago. My discounted price for a 5.12 GB drive was $5,433.

Ah, a thousand dollars a gig for storage. That brings back memories.

Now excuse me while I get drunk and stare at the receipt for my 90 cent per gig WD2000JB until I forget the bad old days again.

BHD

Katana Man said:
Yes, they are much faster. They transfer nearly as fast as the bus can handle, and .048ms access time or better. You can't wear them out either. You can write 100 Gigs per day and it will last 27 years.

Cost is still expensive. But you know how computer prices are. It's only a matter of time.
Last time I check with them for prices was 6 months ago. My discounted price for a 5.12 GB drive was $5,433.

:eek: :eek: :eek: You actually paid $5400 for the HDD in that case???? :eek: :eek: :eek:

That's insane! Are you a millionaire? What do you do with that system that you need the silence and (or) speed of a $5400 HDD?

Sorry, I don't mean to sound rude but I just can't comprehend something like that. I spend waaay more than my share of money on hardware but I can't imagine spending that much money on any piece of computer hardware.

Hehe :) Ralph, you can read more about it here

Currenlty, I'm using the global fan that came with the case (no idea on it's specs), plus a Panaflo L1A (68.9 CFM @ 30 dBA). Both are low flow, low noise, but on top of that, the rheobus has slowed them down even more. Since Papst 120mm are sold out everywhere in the USA, I've decided to try Jim's special JMC 120mm fans from coolcases.

When my monitors go to sleep, and when returning to my PC, I often have to look down to see if it's turned on.

Last edited:
No, trust me, it's not running that loud. I've got it running around 4V. Will be replaced with a Papst eventually. I'm not that impressed with the Panaflo L1A. The 2 I just ordered are both slightly unbalanced.

Man, that is absolutely awesome. I agree on the noise reduction material weighing a ton. I had some dynamat (regular) in my case at one time and it weighed at least 10-15lbs heavier. I had it on both side panels, the bottom interior, and the inside of the front bezel. I finally got tired of it and took it off, which involved using paint thinner to remove the sticky surfaces. I will also be adding a few 120mm fans to my case soon, one of them replacing the existing 80mm intake in the front.

Very nice case and review.

I got to get me one of those SSHDDs someday. SATA or Serial SCSI would be nice too. Slap in some RAID 0 on them!

How'd you get the front bezel to look like that? Doesn't look stock.

Last edited:
Back