• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

COOLER WONT FIT, i7-4770k ASUS z87 DELUXE/DUAL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

roachyja

I'm Currently building the newest, fastest pc I have ever built, as I want this build to be able to play pc games on full AA settings with HIGH textures, whilst also being able to run as a HTPC via XBMC for all my Digital Tv, Music & Video File needs, & just everyday computing whilst being able to keep up with the latest games.
So pretty much a pc that will handle anything. lol

So After Purchasing These Items I Have Came Across A Small Problem:

THERMALTAKE CHASER MK-I CASE

ASUS Z87 DELUXE/DUAL MOBO

INTEL I7-4770K (1150)

CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM, 1600 DDR3 16GB (2X8GB)

& THE PROBLEM STARTS @:
PHANTEKS PH-TC14PE CPU COOLER !!!

oh & also running this on an 720watt standard power supply I had lying around, but planning on new GOLD rated in next couple of weeks, & USING INTEGRATED GPU FOR NOW, GET ASUS GTX760 NEXT WEEK.

ok so my problem is once I got the mobo securely in the case I realised the size of the RAM & CPU heatsink conflict, so atm just running stock cooler which is real hard on cpu's temp as the ASUS z87 DELUXE/DUAL MOBO comes with dual intelligent processors (4) which pretty much wants to overclock every part of your PC.

So the choices I think I have are:
0. LEAVE AS IS & DONT OVERCLOCK - as if.lol
1. Only put one DDR3 8GB stick in as it fits with cpu heatsink, just very close, & most importantly miss out on dual channel. (also mobo manual says if use only 1 stick to use in DIMM-A not B which I cannot get to under heatsink.
2. Buy smaller low profile ram & keep phanteks heatsink
3. Buy new heatsink that will fit with my corsair dominator platinum ram.

I SERIOUSLY DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO AS RAM WAS $270AUD & WOULD HATE TO SEE THAT GO TO WASTE, ALSO COOLER WAS $90AUD SO EITHER WAY I CAN'T WIN, HAVE THOUGHT OF MODIFYING THE HEATSINK IN THE TOOL SHED BUT NOT SURE IF CUTTING THE RADIATOR SLIGHTLY WOULD AFFECT HEAT.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE ON WHAT THEY THINK MY BEST OPTION WOULD BE???

CHEERS. ROACHYJA.

Please don't use all caps. Ever. It doesn't warrant any nice attention. I'm an aussie too btw.

Frankly you shouldn't have spent so much on ram either way. It doesn't do anything for you. Especially at Aussie prices.

Secondly. I'd be grabbing a new cooler. It's the cheaper option.

Finally, you won't be maxing EVERY game with a 760. It just won't. You can max it, but don't expect 60fps constant on all new games.

Back