• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling my Office down a bit!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aynjell

So I have a heat problem. I have a relatively cramped office that seems to be fairly well isolated from the rest of my apartment which means even with the AC going it hits almost any other room of the house harder than my office. To get my office cool means icicles in the bedroom. So I've decided to try and reduce the heat load of my office, and thought I'd ask you guys: what changes can I make to reduce the heat of my apartment, without sacraficing performance _TOO_ much?

Server:
AMD Athlon 64 3800x2 (Zalman CNPS 7700)
2x1GB of DDR500 OCZ Gold RAM
DFI nf4 SLI-DR
Dell Perc 5/i
4 500GB 7200.10 drives (Seagate)
4 1.5TB 7200.11 drives (Seagate)
PCPC Silencer 750
MSI 8800GTS (replacement GF210 in the mail)
Mine:
Intel Core I5 750 @ stock (stock volts, cooler master hyper 212 w/ 2 yate loons)
8GB of DDR3 Crucial Ballistix RAM
DFI t3eh9 P55 Motherboard
1 x 128GB Crucial SSD
2 x Velociraptor (300GB, not backplane compatible version)
2 x Caviar Black 1TB
2 x BFG GTX 260 in SLI
PCPC Silencer 750
Hers:
Intel Pentium Dual Core E5300 @ 3.46 (stock volts, noctua w/ no fan)
4GB of DDR2 1066 RAM
Gigabyte P45-UD3P
750GB Caviar Black
eVGA GTX260 Core 216
OCZ 650W
Naturally, reducing the performance of my machine (marked "Mine") is a no go. But getting different RAM is an option I will pursue with crucial since I need to RMA anyway. I'll see if I can get something else that doesn't run as hot as the gates of hell (crucial ballistix tracers are super hot). I figure the RAM is so hot to the touch it can burn me, so I am guessing that if I replace it with something that runs cooler my office will run slightly cooler, even if not noticeable.

The machine marked "Hers" is the coolest and most stable box in the house. I set the FSB to 266, and it just goes. I move hardware in and out of it all the darned time and it just keeps on going. And it runs really really cool. A good machine to give to somebody who doesn't know a whole lot about computers. I don't believe any real changes need to be made to it, the case is a real dust magnet but it runs really cool so I'm willing to leave this one alone. It has 2 monitors attached to it, and those put off a bit of heat, but over all, her box isn't much of an issue.

The machine marked "Server" has an 8800GTS that's in there just to get the machine to boot up. It's slated to be replaced by an eVGA GF210 that I plan to tweak with nibitor to get to as low of power consumption as possible, which should reduce power consumption and heat output by a factor of 10. I am also considering moving the server somewhere else, like to the living room, and I figure if I can hide it somewhere over by the couch it should make little fuss and stay fairly quiet. If I can remove a whole box from the office, that's bound to be as good as it's gonna get. Everything else in the box runs relatively cool, but the 1.5TB drives run really hot and are placed at the wrong spot in the case, so they gotta be moved when I do the video card swap, other than that it's a good cool and quiet box.

Other devices include the Netgear GS108 prosafe switch, which actually runs pretty hot, and a HP MP620 networked color printer. The switch gets pretty hot as well, so I'm going to try putting in somewhere where ventilation is easier to achieve.

Oh, and there's 3 24" monitors at my desk, and 2 monitors at hers (22" and 17"). This is not really changeable as I'll be running nVidia surround and she plays a LOT of WoW, so the extra monitor is helpful for googling/etc.

They have air conditioners that don't need to be placed in a window for single room use.
FTW. You could port the exhaust into your gaming machine and be 'bi winning' ;)

:)

They have air conditioners that don't need to be placed in a window for single room use.
FTW. You could port the exhaust into your gaming machine and be 'bi winning' ;)

:)

o.o

I think that may be a bad idea, actually. That would cause hella condensation.

I don't think condensation would be a problem if the room was dry. Perhaps use a dehumidifier in conjunction with the air conditioner. Should remove any moisture in the air.

Condensation in the office isn't the problem, but hooking it up to my tower would be. I'm sure it was offered as a joke, though.

That being said, I'd rather not buy a bunch of kit and clutter my office even more, I was mostly curious of various parts I might replace that would make a very powerful impact on tempuratures. I know that replacing the gpu in the server and replacing my computer's RAM should reduce temps in my home slightly, since both should not run hotter than the sun anymore. I'll be calling crucial about the RAM exchange tomorrow.

Condensation in the office isn't the problem, but hooking it up to my tower would be. I'm sure it was offered as a joke, though.

That being said, I'd rather not buy a bunch of kit and clutter my office even more, I was mostly curious of various parts I might replace that would make a very powerful impact on tempuratures. I know that replacing the gpu in the server and replacing my computer's RAM should reduce temps in my home slightly, since both should not run hotter than the sun anymore. I'll be calling crucial about the RAM exchange tomorrow.

No I'm totally serious. The cool air passes through a thingamajiggy that removes the moisture and collects it in a tray for later disposal. Like with a dehumidifier. The cool air that actually comes out is already de-condensated. You could run it into a cheap plastic duct in through a 120mm fan hole to your rig. :thup:

K I'm joking...

But one of those units would solve the problem. They're fairly compact and you could put it on the wall.

Right now I'm trying to remove clutter, spring cleaning tomorrow. I'd like to reduce heat output in places where it wouldn't impact us so much performance wise.

vent heat outputs of the pc out of the room, you cannot magically get rid of the heat, it takes massive amounts of space for it to dissipate into the air, is there any windows in this office?

is there a window in the office? if so just do what I did and get a air conditioner for the window works wonders

Back