• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cooling potential of WD-40?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frodo Baggins

I was whipping out the WD-40 can to help stop a squeak, when I noticed two things...

one: it says that it protects metal (I'm guessing from rust and stuff liek that) what would it help if you sprayed WD-40 over your heatsink to stop it from corroding?

two: it says it's also used to drive away moisture from short circuited electrical equipment. If your computer got a leak, then if you sprayed WD-40, would it help?

just two wacky theories...

Nice thoughts, but it also eats some plastics and adhesives. I wouldn't spray it on the motherboard unless you want it to die.
If sprayed on the heatsink, what little oil that is in WD-40 would soon make one of the finest dust gathering devices you've ever seen.
Also, coating the aluminum/copper with anything is going to inhibit it's ability to transfer heat to the air.

Hate to be such a downer....

PERHAPS, If you were to spray your WB with WD-40, let it sit for half an hour, then buff it dry with a rag, it might stay shiney longer. I am not sure about this, so do so only at your own risk.

shiny..........................................longer.:p

haha

ok well i think you should stay away from it, im sure it doesnt like to trancefer heat all that well..

You Hobbits sure have a funny way of looking at things.:)
Did you forget the WD-40 also smells good? :)

Seriously, I think it would be of marginal value in protecting
a HS from corrosion and of no value in protecting your PC from
water. Sorry, Frodo. :(

if you wanted to stop your heat sink from corroding could you coat it with a very fine layer of Heat transfer epoxy if the heat sink was clean to start off with it wouldnt corrode but would the epoxy reduce the heat sink performance

Umm, All-in-one fixer

Well if u are going to think about Wd-40, why don't your then just slap on some duck tape while your add it. It might help just as much as the WD-40. Very STicky MEss!
SNIFF< ahhh WD-fortttttttyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

AviClocker said:
if you wanted to stop your heat sink from corroding could you coat it with a very fine layer of Heat transfer epoxy if the heat sink was clean to start off with it wouldnt corrode but would the epoxy reduce the heat sink performance

For aluminum HS's the best and most practical protection comes
from anodizing. For copper HS's the best protection is probably
nickel plating. Neither of these options will hurt the heat transfer.

A few months ago, when I was replacing the heatsink on my brand new ti4400, I managed to short circuit something with AS2. I kinda had the stuff smeared all over the board and I couldn't think of a way to get it off.

Took it outside, hung the card by a piece of wire and sprayed that thing down with wd-40 like crazy. I let it dry off, put it back in the computer and it worked. Unforunately, the car now collects dust like a MOFO. I have to wipe it off every week otherwise it'll overheat.

No more wd-40 inside my computer case for me.

Back