• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling/PSU at the heart of BSOD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PE553

Registered
Recently I've been having my fair share or BSODs and I keep telling myself I'll fix it later, but something just occurred to me.

The BSODs usually hit after I've been playing an mmorpg for more than 4 hours let's say. At that point, things are pretty toasty--or rather, the actual temps are fine but there's still a lot of hot air and the fans are going at it pretty hard.

I can't recall the actual message on the BSOD, but I'm thinking this. My PSU is only 650w (I know, it's low) and my gear includes 2 1TB HDDs, a bigazz CPU heatsink with two fans, 2 GTX460s and 6BG tri chan ram...and I OCd the CPU and both GPUs. Could the BSODs be caused by the fact that the rig is getting too toasty and all the fans and gear going crazy at once is drawing too much power from the PSU?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Very possible. Depends on the PSU.

My setup in my sig pulls 750 watts with load testing, so I'm sure your pulling +500 while gaming.

More info, what CPU, overclocks?, PSU part number, how old is it? Your room temps?

+1^
650 should be enough for your setup "if" it's a quality PSU such as a Corsair/Seasonic. But I would probably go at least AX750 on the Corsair side with that setup.

That PSU has 52A on the 12V rail, so it's no slouch, but it's possible that it might not be enough for your clocks with the dual-GPU's.

Knowing the BSOD code would be helpful to narrowing down a cause. Check the event viewer for any errors around the times it's bluescreened.

Post the BSOD message please.

Steps to pin down the BSOD cause.

Temps:
Use speedfan to monitor temps, use logging to keep a record.

RAM:
Drop the RAM OC to stock and see if you get a BSOD.

CPU:
Drop the OC by 50% and see if BSOD occurs.

GPU:
Test @ stock, test @ 30% of current OC, test @ 50%, test @ 75%.

Check event viewer to see if there is an error being thrown before/during BSOD.

Back