• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

copied HDD to SSD still boots and opens programs slow?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wagex

Chapstick Eating Premium Member
ok so i did a disk clone to a SSD for a laptop and i mean this thing doesnt boot any faster or anything its still slow as balls. heres specs
asus G1s
c2d 1.83ghz
4gb ddr2 ram
windows vista 64 bit <-- problem?
samsung 830 128gb

i would do a full re-install of vista granted i wasnt affraid to lose all of this stuff do they have a good tool to backup program files and documents these days?

im using the windows backup tool right now but it doesnt seem to save program files.

edit: im getting 250gb/s with ATTo benchmark. ugh this is gonna be a pain :(

Last edited:
250gb/s? you mean MB/s?

If so, that is about what I would expect as your laptop doesn't have support for SATA3, likely only SATA2 which would be about right depending on the controller/etc. Overall I almost always recommend a fresh install when you switch to an SSD, it allows for proper alignment/etc and gives you a chance to clean up your extra programs/etc that you don't need anymore.

There isn't a good way to backup the program files other than to clone like you did, which like I said can cause problems going from HDD->SSD.

I would backup your important documents/files and do a fresh install, can almost guarantee it will be better. Granted it will likely be more CPU-bottlenecked than anything, but it should still see an improvement.

I would say the Core2 is slowing you down. I just switched from a T61 (Core2 Wolfdale) that was having problems keeping up with the solid state drive. It felt like it didn't have one. Programs have to execute on the processor, so if it gets loaded into RAM fast, but executes slow, it will still feel slow. You wouldn't be fixing the bottleneck.

im trying to reinstall vista right now gonna see what happens on a fresh install i have a feeling its crapped down even though i cleaned up alot of crap, the cpu isnt being used alot is my only quirrel with it being the cpu the highest ive seen it when loading programs is maybe 25% so were gonna see once this disk finishes burning
but thanks for the advice guys :)

i got a clone a backup set and also the original disk itself so i think i can pull what i need from all of that hopefully this works :D will give me a chance to change it to ahci as well

vista does not align the drive when you do a fresh install... your going to need a pc with win7 or dos/linux based filesystem program to set it up correctly. the alignment from vista will kill ssd performance... i manually aligned a drive when i was using xp, night and day difference to me.

welp fresh install everything is nice and zippy super fast.... so argh tried to load up the backup files and it says it cant find them... when im clicking right on them so... im about to be angry lol

vista does not align the drive when you do a fresh install... your going to need a pc with win7 or dos/linux based filesystem program to set it up correctly. the alignment from vista will kill ssd performance... i manually aligned a drive when i was using xp, night and day difference to me.

Vista does do alignment if it is allowed to wipe the SSD and create the partitions, it is XP that does not. I am not sure if the windows clone tool included in Vista will realign an HDD image for proper setup on SSD however.

did a fresh install everything is blazin fast now thanks guys :)

Back