• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core i7 or Core 2 Quad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
1280x1024...meh. But seriously it looks like that game was programmed or ported to PC poorly , it's the new Crysis :p Given that it runs better on consoles like the xBox which have a lot less processing power I'd say it's just a poor port job.

I♥GFX;5902085 said:
Besides the official minimum requirements and i7 folks running it decently?

In the previous above link, no dual beat the QX6580 @ a mere 3.0GHz, the E8500 had to be OC'ed to 4.0GHz to still lose. The E8500 @ 3.6GHz merely had 1 frame higher than the Q6600, at a low stock clock 2.4GHz! The Q6600 OC'd to 2.6GHz will destroy the E8500, a whole 1 GHz lower.

Proof is obvious, google this stuff yourself.

I've seen the official minimum requirements and that's why I asked. I was wondering if it was just a marketing ploy to sell the quads. The proof has been shown above, and yes, I was just too lazy to google this. I just don't care enough about this poorly coded port to waste my time.

My point is that we've been hearing that quads will be better for gaming for a couple years now. Very few games are better on quads, and those that are, are usually very poorly coded and don't run well on anything.

Until a breakthrough in parallel programming occurs the promise of gaming being better on quads will just remain a promise.

The main thread can run on 1 core, and the other minor threads can all be ran on the other core w/ CPU usage never even getting close to 100%.

man if you have the money go i7 or atleast with a c2q when i went from my c2d to my c2q i noticed a big jump in performance in windows and start up times and in games like supcom you definitely need a quad

your building a new rig why not build it with new tech

I agree the i7 is going to come with additional costs elsewhere. I think you should stick with the core 2 quad for now if you are looking for "bang for the buck". Good luck!

Back