• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could you fold with Xeon Phi?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Im sure you could fold/mine with it (not sure, but seems like it would be possible), but the real question is if it is actually worth it or not. For mining, I highly doubt it as CPU processing isn't really profitable at all AFAIK. Folding. Not sure but not sure its worth it seeing how they are based of atom cores IIRC.

Tesla and the Phi are two different things/implementations. One is GPU based(tesla), the other CPU based(Phi = atom cores? weak). One is a co-processor, the other an accelerator. Now, that is splitting hairs a bit, but each are good at specific things...

If you research the parts, for comparison you can see the Titan comes in at 1.3TF (DP mode) while the model you have up top is barely over 1TF. You can find used Titan's in the same price as the item you mentioned but at least it isn't a one trick pony.

Last edited:
Kind of makes you wonder why Intel bothered with the Xeon Phi in the first place. Can't a GPU pretty much do all the same stuff as the Phi can (sorry this is a semi-thread hijack)?

Kind of makes you wonder why Intel bothered with the Xeon Phi in the first place. Can't a GPU pretty much do all the same stuff as the Phi can (sorry this is a semi-thread hijack)?

My guess is cross platform compatibility. A program needs to be coded specifically to utilize a GPU. This claims to use a "common language" with the big boy Xeons (I don't know if they mean X86 or some form of SSE or something), so my guess it's easier to move applications back and forth. They probably thought it'd catch on that way.

The Phi was released BEFORE GPU utilization. I seriously doubt you will likely ever see an Enterprise grade Server in a business environment running X# of 780ti GTX or whatever.

Ah, ok. Since it was based on Atoms, I thought it came at or after the time the idea of using GPUs for non-graphics tasks started popping up.

And I know they won't use 780s, but what about Teslas? Weren't they released for this type of thing?

Im sure you could fold/mine with it (not sure, but seems like it would be possible), but the real question is if it is actually worth it or not. For mining, I highly doubt it as CPU processing isn't really profitable at all AFAIK. Folding. Not sure but not sure its worth it seeing how they are based of atom cores IIRC.

Tesla and the Phi are two different things/implementations. One is GPU based(tesla), the other CPU based(Phi = atom cores? weak). One is a co-processor, the other an accelerator. Now, that is splitting hairs a bit, but each are good at specific things...

If you research the parts, for comparison you can see the Titan comes in at 1.3TF (DP mode) while the model you have up top is barely over 1TF. You can find used Titan's in the same price as the item you mentioned but at least it isn't a one trick pony.

Wow, the regular Titan is 1.3 Teraflops? Not the Titan Black? The first titan? Damn.

I did not know that this uses CPU cores, why Intel would water down their Xeon brand with their lowest-end processor (Atom cores? Wow.)

My guess is cross platform compatibility. A program needs to be coded specifically to utilize a GPU. This claims to use a "common language" with the big boy Xeons (I don't know if they mean X86 or some form of SSE or something), so my guess it's easier to move applications back and forth. They probably thought it'd catch on that way.

So it can run normal CPU instructions. Interesting. Could programs use it like normal CPUs? Because 60 cores would definately speed up video rendering...

Ah, ok. Since it was based on Atoms, I thought it came at or after the time the idea of using GPUs for non-graphics tasks started popping up.

And I know they won't use 780s, but what about Teslas? Weren't they released for this type of thing?

Yeah I thought the worlds fastest supercomputer for a time on the top lists or whatever used Tesla K20xs, which are GK110, the same as the GTX Titan.

Back