• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cpu back side cooling w/ a heat sink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rollingbear

hi there i'm new to this forum and i ran a cross a tread about cpu back side cooling with a fan and they were talking about it not doing much w/o a heat sink but they didn't discuss using a heat sink... so now i'm intrigued & i found a zotac vga alum heat sink and fan combo on ebay for $12.50 ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251131834071?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

and i was thinking that this would work in my case if i just mill the gpu cooler base down to fit inside my h100i cooler bracket and have it contact the cpu base.. ( i have a small mill vice for my drill press)
this is my first real hi end gaming rig and experience with getting into extreme overclocking. i am still collecting all the parts for it but would this make any real difference cooling the backside of the cpu?

Actually what will happen is the metal will short out the backside of the board where the cpu socket is. You will fry the board.

Really no need to cool the backside of the board, but if you're deadset on it, a slim fan will do. No need to add a sink to it ( and I wouldn't suggest it either ;))

Be sure the motherboard tray has the cut-out opening behind the cpu socket for the fan to cool.

wow.. well thanks for the info.. seamed like such a good idea at the time...yes my mb does have the cutout so i guess i will just install a fan back there then.
but what if you were to use a non conductive thermal paste same result?

It'll act as insulation and will do more harm than good. Also be sure the case panel on that side is vented so the fan will be able to pull air in. Looking at the pc case from the front, that side would be the right.

cool thanks again.. ok ill have to dump that idea then bummer would have been "cool" and yes i will have to cut a hole in the side of the case cover to vent the fan & i will put a fan cover/screen on it to. i have just enuff room to put a 80x15mm fan in there. i cant go any bigger because of the bump in the side of my case or i would go w/ a 120mm fan and i already have an 80mm led fan i can use.
ur the best hope to pick your brain again some time soon
rollingbear

A better way and more safe is to mount a 120mm fan on the outside of the case door, which faces the rear side of your Mobo! But most of this is kinda dreaming, whats really need is some good case fans inside doing the job. Of keeping things cool as possible! AJ. ;) :thup:

i have a pair of 120mm fans in the front and 120s on the back and the bottom and the 2 120s on the h100i that is comming in the mail soon. i also want to do the water cooling mod to my videocards after i get all the parts for my build so there will be a 120mm double thick radiator on the back and the bottom. i cant put a 120mm fan on the outside because of where my case sits in my computer desk the side is close to the tower cubby wall but it will still have room to draw air in. but the 80mm will be mounted to the inside of the case
cover. i will have more fans blowing out than blowing in so i would think this will help some.. i just thought the heatsink fan would have been a cool mod based on what i read in the other fourm. oh and my case doesn't have any fan mounts on the window side cover or i would prob put a fan there too.

Fine RB just a heads up try not to over do it with the fans my friend, because sometimes they end up fighting each other. Then there is less air flow all round, best of luck with your build see you again. AJ.

cool thanks for all the advice... i'm just getting started...my friend got me into modding computers and gaming and now im addicted.. but it makes my wallet hurt... lol just a few pieces at a time and i'll be there.
later

Back