• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cpu cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Psycrow

Registered
HI

I am gona buy this cpu - Core i5 I5-2500K 6 MB -
and i dont know what cooler to buy.

It must be a regular air cooler...no water or hydro or what its called.

I have been looking on these following coolers

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6603

http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=378

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1148&ID=1866

Thay all looks similar and has almost the same specs

Then there is this cooler from noctura

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=34&lng=en

what shall i choose from these menationed and why ??

new intel cpus dont require the best cooling out there to overclock to very good speeds, you can overclock pretty high on those $50-$60 coolers you listed above, but if youre looking to run near 5Ghz overclock 24/7, the best air coolers are: Thermalright Silver Arrow, Noctua NH-D14, Cogage Arrow, which i have and its a beast, allows up to 3 120mm or 140mm fans, i got this one because i was going to buy fans separately, because neither silver arrow nor noctua fans matched my rig, if you plan on getting any of these coolers check for dimensions and ram clearance as these coolers have dual arrangement of fins and wont fit if you have smaller case or tall ram heatsinks.

coolers

I see ur point in cooler choises, but you are right regarding the high heatsinks i have on my corsair dr3 1600 ram..my mate has the noctura cooler and same ram type..he removed the heatsink from the first ram blok in order to make room for that cooler...is that wise to do so ??

I was thinking on doing the same..remove the heatsinks and then perhaps buy some lower heatsinks for my ram?

well now that you already own the ram yes just take the heatsink off its not a big deal if you run your ram at stock speeds, but if its overclocked like my 1600 is running at 1690 now due to my overclock, you really want some kind of heat decipation method, but in general i try to avoid ram with high heatsink, theres plenty of ram out there to choose from, since you said corsair i take it you have vengence with that incredibly high heatsink?

When you raise blk to oc CPU ram frequency goes up, you can change divider but that drops/raises ram frequency by few hundred MHz so you will likely end up running your ram little below or above 1600, like me for example, I run multiplier at 19x212 to give me 4.0Ghz oc which puts my ram speed at 1690, I used to run 20x200 for 4.0Ghz oc and my ram was at 1600, but with multiplier at 19 I can lower my vcore which gives me lower temps, so I raise blk to achieve the same oc which in turn raised my ram speeds, but I was able to stabilize it by raising dimm voltage a little, in the end it was a good adjustment, as I went from 1.35vcore to 1.30vcore, which droped my temps quite a bit.

vdgamer, you can't do much in the way of bclk overclocking on Sandy Bridge. You multi overclock with unlocked processors like the 2500k he wants to buy.

OP, if you already have that ram, then I would suggest that you go with a Thermalright MUX-120, since it will give plenty of clearance to your ram and will cool with the best of them for your 2500k. If you were going with an X58 system, you could probably get a tiny bit better cooling with an NH-D14, but not really enough of a difference to get you a better overclock and with SB, you won't see any dropoff to speak of in cooling. The NH-D14 you linked is an excellent cooler, but does have clearance problems with tall heatspreaders. Personally, I wouldn't pull the heatspreader off the ram as you void your warranty when you do that.

Hmm both of you sounds very wise..i can use people like you for later when i finaly bought and installed this system, because i might need a littel adjustment help on the new bios for at good clock.. So i hope your nerves are ready like mine soon :D

Btw..my ram is waay over warrenty date..but i will try and see if i can buy an alternative heatsink..or some universals.

if i was you to save myself the trouble of messing around with ram heatsinks i would just go for TRUE, which was the best cooler for a long time and still is in top five in my opinion, it will only lag behind the three i listed above by 2C-3C on idle and maybe 5C under load, probably not even that much, but it requires a lot less space because its a single set of fins not dual like the arrows and nh-d14, i did a lot of research on this before i got my heatsink few months ago, and my 2 top choices were cogage arrow and TRUE Black, even though i went with cogage arrow since i had the room for it, i was extremely tempted to get TRUE, its just a beautiful heatsink, it even comes in three different colors, regular aluminum, black, and even copper(full copper heatsink) but youll have to payup for the copper one, anyway 2C-3C difference especially on sandy bridge isn't worth the trouble of changing ram heatsinks in my mind

Hmm yes you are right...i cant even remove the heatsinks..they are crafted on the ram for good :s

så either i sacrefise money for new ram also or i save alot of $ just buying a single fan cooler...hmm

Are you sure its only around 5 c in difference..even when i OC the cpu for like 4.5 ghz ?

TRUE has an option of push/pull configuration, it's not strictly a single fan cooler, the temps are very close, no more than 5C difference, but you should ask muddocktor, he tests aircoolers so he can give you more specific answer

Actually, last time I ran tests on the NH-Di4, it was only around 1 C better than a TRUE Rev. C 1366RT with it's stock single 1600 rpm fan and the NH-D14 with it's stock fans. And that was on a [email protected]. It actually beat the Ven-X and copper TRUE by a little bit in performance. To tell you how good the TRUE Rev. C is, I sold the NH-D14, Ven-X, True Spirit, Megahalems and Copper TRUE that I tested at that time and kept the TRUE Rev. C.

The 212 is a great cooler for the money. Pretty popular around here. You can't go wrong with it, unless your trying for super dooper overclocks and are a mad bios tweaker who doesn't mind high volts to the CPU.

Back