• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU FAN SET UP QUESTION

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

busterbvi

Registered
I am nearly complete on my upgrade but have run into a problem. I'm using my trusty old Thermalright True 120 on a new Asus Z87 Pro & 4770k and using a 120 x 25 mm CPU cooler fan it fouls on the RAM. My question is, if I put the fan on the other side of the cooler to function as a puller, will it cool adequately ? THE CPU is stock. The fan RPM is 1800 and 55 CFM.

I could use a Scythe slim 12mm fan but the reviews are not good.

Any advice ?

Thanks, Buster.

It should work fine, if you're worried about it just monitor temps with HWMonitor.

It should work fine, if you're worried about it just monitor temps with HWMonitor.
Exactly. It wont make much of a difference... just check after you make the change (I prefer Realtemp as it much simpler) that your LOAD temps are in order.

Thanks chaps. I will give it a try. I have 2 120mm fans exhausting on the case top, I will leave the one above the CPU cooler as it is and the other I will flip so its blowing air in, hopefully getting some good airflow action going on around the CPU with the 2 120mm bottom case fans helping by sucking in. With the 120mm at the rear exhaust position, I should be OK. I have RealTemp so I will keep an eye on it.

I wouldn't do that...

Front/sides = intake
Top/rear = exhaust

The key is proper airFLOW. And leaving one up top exhausting and one coming in breaks up good airFLOW.

^^^^ this
not to mention re-circulation

Then again... depends on the case.... If it has a filter, its an intake, otherwise its exhaust.
So, if the roof has filters, you could set them to intake and exhaust everything out the back

Back