• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU hitting 100 on stress test within seconds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kooziguy

Hello,

I attempted my first water cooling build. However, on stress tests it hits 100 celcius within 10 seconds on all cores. It idles around 27. I don't even feel heat coming out of the radiators. My cpu isn't overclocked. I double checked the screws on the backplate and reapplied thermal paste using a pea sized drop. Low idle temps so I think the contact to the waterblock is fine. It just heats up so fast. No kinks or leaks. I ran the pump 12 hours, so most of the bubbles are gone. I have an anti-vortex foam in the reservoir.

Core i7 4790k
EK supremacy EVO cpu block
EK d5 pump/res combo (newest) with pwm control on sys fan.
1x 280mm rad, 1x 120mm rad DI water
Any thoughts?

I've used multiple stress tests including d9 , heavy and ASUS

Hello,

I attempted my first water cooling build. However, on stress tests it hits 100 celcius within 10 seconds on all cores. It idles around 27. I don't even feel heat coming out of the radiators. My cpu isn't overclocked. I double checked the screws on the backplate and reapplied thermal paste using a pea sized drop. Low idle temps so I think the contact to the waterblock is fine. It just heats up so fast. No kinks or leaks. I ran the pump 12 hours, so most of the bubbles are gone. I have an anti-vortex foam in the reservoir.

Core i7 4790k
EK supremacy EVO cpu block
EK d5 pump/res combo (newest) with pwm control on sys fan.
1x 280mm rad, 1x 120mm rad DI water
Any thoughts?

I've used multiple stress tests including d9 , heavy and ASUS

That's not good. If the loop worked properly, you should have warm air coming out of the rads which leaves me to believe that A. There is no flow because of blockage or B. The pump is faulty.

Did you rinse out your gear before putting it together? Sometimes the manufacturing process can leave bits of pieces in the components. Those things can build up in the small channels of your blocks and cause a blockade.

Did you remove the plastic cover from the copper base of the CPU block?

Are you getting a good spread when looking at the CPU contact?

Did you try the system out with an air cooler prior to installing the water system?

You are sure the pump is moving the water throughout the sytem?

That's more than enough rad for just a CPU so that shouldn't be an issue. If you don't feel any heat coming through the radiators then my guess is a poor mount on the CPU, but may want to wait for one additional opinion.

Which direction did you tube the block? Some have a dedicated inlet/outlet.

Did you ever try it with the stock cooler?

Thank you all for replying. I remounted the cpu three times and I'm fairly confident there's adequate contact. The idle temps are fairly low after all. I am not sure if the pump is working, but I could see bubbles being pushed through when I first turned it on. The only of the above steps I did not take is cleaning out the radiators. Where would blockages form and is there a way to help remove them without having to undo all the hoses again?

Thanks everyone,

Kooz

Thank you all for replying. I remounted the cpu three times and I'm fairly confident there's adequate contact. The idle temps are fairly low after all. I am not sure if the pump is working, but I could see bubbles being pushed through when I first turned it on. The only of the above steps I did not take is cleaning out the radiators. Where would blockages form and is there a way to help remove them without having to undo all the hoses again?

Thanks everyone,

Kooz
If you didn't do the radiator dance to get all the crud out of them it's likely it made it's way into the Cpu block and is blocking the flow. If anything take the Cpu block apart and see if there is anything inside blocking flow.

Let it idle for an hour. With something minor in the background. What are your temps?

Run the Heaven or the newer benchmark, looping for an hour what are your temps?

Fans working? Fans blowing in the right direction?

Anyhoo, if it spikes to 100c right away it's gotta be the mount or water flow.

Take pics of the cpu right after you remove the cooler, bet it's the paste application or no flow.

Will do. If there's a blockage in the line, wouldn't it prevent air from moving through the loop? I've seen bubbles circulate just fine. Also, wouldn't heat from the cpu still radiate to the tubes?

Let it idle for an hour. With something minor in the background. What are your temps?

Run the Heaven or the newer benchmark, looping for an hour what are your temps?

Fans working? Fans blowing in the right direction?

Anyhoo, if it spikes to 100c right away it's gotta be the mount or water flow.

Take pics of the cpu right after you remove the cooler, bet it's the paste application or no flow.

If it's spiking to 100 it's most likely not the water getting hot. It's either an issue with lack of flow or a bad mount. The only other issue I can think of is the motherboard is over volting the chip.

Have u tried varying the speed on the pump ? I see u have a d5 varo. Burping/bleeding a wc system
can sure be a pain. It can go so smooth at times and others u can spend hours tring to get an air pocket out.

Forgot to add, touch the radiator to see if its warm, the tubing and the reservoir.

Back