• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPUID Vs Windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

giesweinr

My system consists of an AMD 965 II 4 core Black edition, an XFX 9650 GPU- 2GB version, 8Gb Corsair Vengeance (4x2) @ 1600Mgz, Cooler Master CPU cooler and lastly an entry level ASUS motherboard. My OS is Windows 7 64bit. My question is what to trust in terms of determining my CPU clock, I entered the BIOS and set the multiplier to 19x and voltage set itself to 1.45V from the stock 16x, I then ran Prime 95 overnight, no problems. However, CPUID reports my CPU clock at 4Ghz, but in the control panel of Windows under system specs, it reports 3.6Ghz. What gives? I do not understand why this is the case, can anyone tell me what to trust when reporting the actual speed of my CPU? Thank you!
Giesweinr

If you dissable coolNquiet and APM in you're bios and use the lates CPUz (1.62) CPUz should give you the correct readings for you're rig and its the only thing I would trust to give the correct clock/memory speeds. On the odd occasion CPUz will chuck out random clocks etc, but that is usually on the older hardware and you're rig should not be suffering from these problems, if you still get no joy from disabling them things in you're bios and running the latest CPUz then try a older version of CPUz but as I said I don't think CPUz is reading it wrong, the power saving stuff maybe screwing with the readings.

I'm a nooby with respect to OC, please help me understand "APM" i'm not sure what this is.
Thanks!
Giesweinr

You need to disable cool and quiet and all CPU power save features , for best over clocking results. May be able to get 2600mhz out of your north bridge chip set. You might get 3.8ghz stable, or slightly higher out of the cpu

Back