• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crazy reading in HW Monitor on fan speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time-Bandit

Hi all,

Got a crazy reading in HW Monitor on fan speed I am not sure which fan it is however everything seems to be reading correctly apart from the speed for one fan claiming its going at 637755 or some large number which its not. Been checking it and its been fine until the other day I have done nothing to the machine either its fully updated with win 7 updates drivers all updated aswell so not sure what has happened could there be damage to my board??

Regards,

Bandit.

Probably nothing to worry about but if you want to pursue it further then start unplugging fans from the mobo headers until you find the right one. Then plug in another fan on that header and see if you get those weird numbers. That will at least tell you if it's t he fan that is causing this. By the way do you have two fans running off the same header with a "Y" splitter in any place?

Anomalous reading for any number of reasons...board is fine. :)

Ok thats cool thanks for the reply my old motherboard had the same problem but with one of the temps saying some crazy figure. Since the board was old I didn't really care and I was abit rough on it so expected I screwed that one. This one is a new one and I have been super careful with it.

@trents - I have a Zalman z3 case there are two fans at the top of the case which are both plugged in via molex to the psu (I think you may have replied on my Zalman Confusion post) I believe its a y splitter that powers the fan controller.

So the only fan running off a motherboard header is the CPU cooler fan?

Only one running off the motherboard is the system case fan on the back all the others are hooked up directly to the PSU.

Could it be I have plugged it to the board incorrectly?

The motherboard has a 4 pin connection and the connection from the fan is a 3pin. However previously the readings in HW Monitor were not going funny so I figure I must have done it correct to start with.

The ones hooked to the psu are running full speed, no? Any reason you don't hook those up to the board or fan controller to keep the noise down?

I can only imagine they are running at full speed. I only saw on my mother board a place to plug in one of the fans (which is the one at the back of the case) others are via molex for being powered.

How do I know what the max speed is for my fans? they are just the standard zalman z3 fans that come in the case.

I believe there are two on that board.

YOu can look them up to see their specs...there should be a part number on the hub.

Back