• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crossfire 7950 power consumption question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alzerm

I bought a Sapphire 7950 OC Flex edition today and ordered a 4790k the other day. I am currently running a 620w bronze psw as seen in sig. When I purchased my psw someone on a reddit thread with the same psw said they were running xfire 7950's fine. Do you guys think with my current setup and those two new parts being added I would be fine with that psw? Not sure how to calculate my power consumption. Everything is currently set at default settings. Any way I can accurately check my power consumption while gaming (like hw monitor or something)?

Depends on the cards, the 1GHz's editions are 225 while the vanilla's are 200
the 4790K is 88

so worst case you are at 538 watt's loaded

Add in what ever else you have lets just say 50 watts, and that is probably high baring you have a ton of fans and drives

So 583 loaded

it will run it fine but not a tone of head room.

if you are going to pound on it I would look for something with a bit more head room

the good news is you have a decent unit

you can get a plug in current detector that will give you the watts pulling form the wall, subtract the efficiency level and you will have a definative answer

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882715001

I got a real close number with extreme power supply calculator. I am going to give it a go for now then and see if I can sell both cards somewhere down the line because I was looking at getting a 970 but saw this 7950 for $100 on ebay yesterday.

With a single 970 do you think there would be plenty of room to OC the 4790k down the line?

With a single 970, absolutely

at 1.3 core figure the CPU will be pulling around 120 to 130 watt

the 970's go up steep as you apply voltage from what i am reading, but have not had one so that please take as hear say not fact

I run 2 7970 on a 750 just fine at 1100 each, the big thing to look for is that you can plug them both in without adapters.

I bought a Sapphire 7950 OC Flex edition today and ordered a 4790k the other day. I am currently running a 620w bronze psw as seen in sig. When I purchased my psw someone on a reddit thread with the same psw said they were running xfire 7950's fine. Do you guys think with my current setup and those two new parts being added I would be fine with that psw? Not sure how to calculate my power consumption. Everything is currently set at default settings. Any way I can accurately check my power consumption while gaming (like hw monitor or something)?

Simple: Buy a Kill-A-Watt.

OR

Take a spare power cord for your PSU, remove 3 incehs of the black tubing around the wires (DON'T strip the wires though!!)
And hook your CLAMP ON type muti-meter over the black wire.

Then read the AC Amps, and multiply by 120
So for my rig it's ~ 3.5Amps so 3.5 * 120 = 420Watts used for my rig under full load :)

The first option being "safer", 2nd being cheap and fast 'cause you don't have to wait for a Kill-A-Watt to ship in :p

Either way, stay close to stock settings for now. Maybe try your hand at undervolting your 7950's eh?

Back