• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crossfire R9 280x vs SLI GTX 760 4GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The 280 seems like it performs plenty well without spending $300+, and it should scale well with CF, I'm thinking, given the Memory Size and Bus. Reviews seem to have it performing quite well for the price, and I'm in a position where every $50 makes a big difference. So a 280 for $200 seems like the better deal than a 280X for $275, especially since I'm intending to go 1080p and keep playing old games primarily (Bioshock Infinite and Metro Last Light are the most taxing games I play).

The 280 seems like it performs plenty well without spending $300+, and it should scale well with CF, I'm thinking, given the Memory Size and Bus. Reviews seem to have it performing quite well for the price, and I'm in a position where every $50 makes a big difference. So a 280 for $200 seems like the better deal than a 280X for $275, especially since I'm intending to go 1080p and keep playing old games primarily (Bioshock Infinite and Metro Last Light are the most taxing games I play).

Sorry, I understand the ? now.

If you're looking to save, the 280 is definitely a great value card. You'll need to turn down some IQ settings in Last Light, though, if you want 60+ FPS @ 1080P and you originally said
"If I were going for max detail and framerate at 1080p"

If that is the case, 280X will be the minimum. If not, the 280 is definitely a good value card at 70% of the price.

I think EarthDogATMInside even has an IceQ 280 for sale in the classifieds ;)

And honestly, I can max Metro Last Light at 1080p in Linux no problem. The OpenGL still looks incredible, and it performs really well on my 560ti. So if I can manage to get the 280 functional in Linux, it should work well.

That is my primary reason for considering the 760, though. Just in case the 280 sucks it up in Linux.

I have heard AMD's linux support isn't the greatest. That was a while ago, though. Things could have changed, they usually do in this game.

if aiming for the 280 or 760 (or thinking about them)

i would go older gen like 7970 or 680 and save some cash buying used. if found cheap enough, buy 2!

280 is much like a 7950 and 760 like 660ti.

That site... borderline useless to compare cards with...

How many FPS does all that translate to?????? ;)

That site... borderline useless to compare cards with...

How many FPS does all that translate to?????? ;)

I used to go to this page all the time. But it kept saying my 560ti was theoretically on par with mid-range brand new cards, and I know that's not true. The 320-bit interface is nice, but there's only 1GB of RAM and the power isn't there.

Well if your playing minesweeper then the FPS is gonna be great. If your playing fully modded Skyrim then SOL. :D Game dependent i suppose. If its BF4 then the AMD is the absolute choice because of mantle. If anything else, i hear around the internet the 760 beats it in most benches

oh, man.... get a 290 or 780.
I have 760oc cards in sli, a 770 is not far enough ahead of them to be worth the investment but the single 290's and 780's stomp me and will keep up with the games a few more years and i think the 760/770 cards will be less than good for the comming games.
sli looks neat and is nice as I can split the cards up between machines if i want, but thats about it.

Back