• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crosshair V Formula - RAIDXPERT options greyed out, write back cache

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
I had some options like read ahead and write back cache not available in raidxpert, so I had to dig up an answer. It wasn't that easy to find, so hopefully this will help others.

The bios that got it working for me was bios 1102 with a modified option rom. You can download it from the link in this post:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ut!-Version-1102&p=63332&viewfull=1#post63332

Once I flashed that bios, I then had all options available to configure my raid, and with read ahead/write back cache enabled the speeds are MUCH faster for my benchmarks.

Hope it helps. :beer:

Further info, posted in thread below:

Hello,
I wanted to point out that in Raidxpert you can, despite of MB brand, enable write back.
To achieve this:
Go into "physical drive view" and activate "write cache" - this is actually WRITE BACK
CACHE. If left disabled, the drive(s) will use "write through cache" as default.

Also it is important that when creating an array in the raid ROM "bios", you choose the option: write back or write through cache. After creating an array it can´t be changed at the ROM "bios" level.
BUT: Raidxpert allows to override this by the above explained manner.

This thread is a bit older, but I responded to this, since there are over 10K posts about this specific question in the internet and maybe the one or the other will/may can find this information helpful.

Last edited:
Yup, its modified by a third party. Asus doesn't have the updated raid option rom included in any of their bioses. Probably for similar reasons to why they still have ECC enabled by default in the bios. :shrug:

I use an external raid controller too, however I'm trying to get onboard working for a specific benchmark. I don't think its fully working yet, but I'm much closer now than I was.

Yup, its modified by a third party. Asus doesn't have the updated raid option rom included in any of their bioses. Probably for similar reasons to why they still have ECC enabled by default in the bios. :shrug:

I use an external raid controller too, however I'm trying to get onboard working for a specific benchmark. I don't think its fully working yet, but I'm much closer now than I was.

Thats a bummer :/ and also the main reason I use a separate controller lol. But stupid stuff like that drives me crazy :screwy:

Good find btw!

It's working fine for me for over a month but I was running only Vista and Win7 with this bios. W2008 can have some problems so best is to try W7 or Vista for PCM05. Still I don't think that you will need RAIDXpert to improve scores. All base on driver and it should be all. RAIDXpert is only windows GUI for RAID ROM but have some more options.

Hello,
I wanted to point out that in Raidxpert you can, despite of MB brand, enable write back.
To achieve this:
Go into "physical drive view" and activate "write cache" - this is actually WRITE BACK
CACHE. If left disabled, the drive(s) will use "write through cache" as default.

Also it is important that when creating an array in the raid ROM "bios", you choose the option: write back or write through cache. After creating an array it can´t be changed at the ROM "bios" level.
BUT: Raidxpert allows to override this by the above explained manner.

This thread is a bit older, but I responded to this, since there are over 10K posts about this specific question in the internet and maybe the one or the other will/may can find this information helpful.

Back