• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crosshair V Formula-X fan control

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dyckah

Hey, I recently helped a friend put together a rig using the crosshair v motherboard, and we were trying to use it for fan control on the 3 pin non pwm fans that came with the corsair 750d.
However, if we slow the fans down at all, we get a really loud ticking noise. Now I went through the bios, and I thought I picked some options that controls fan speed via voltage regulation, not pwm signal, but again, as soon as we try to ramp the fans down via ai suite, the clicking returns! What am I doing wrong?

Finally had the time to look in my CHV-z manual...

...and from what I read in the manual, you can set the CPU fan to PWM or DC and the DC being 3 pin fan.

When you go to the chassis fans there is no choice but to run PWM fans because the header cannot do anything but output a PWM signal to the fans and that signal is an on and off of voltage to the fans and thus the clicking you hear coming from the 3 pin fans hooked to the 4 pin PWM chassis headers.

If you are not going to swap to all PWM fans then your bud will have to get a fan controller for the 3 pin fans or hook them up to the power supply direct and they will run full speed.
RGone...ster.

ah thanks for the info.
he wasn't going to have a chance to get back to where the manual was stored until midway through the week, looks like he shall have to deal with 100% fan speed until i get a chance to grab some 3 pin to molex adapters out of storage. maybe i'll look into having them be lower voltage, is it 7 volt that you can make them with just the adapter?

Back